Renovation Shows - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Renovation Shows

This isn't exactly a wood working thing, but I'm curious for opinions because I know some of you are in the biz.

I'm into old houses, particularly those with cool built-ins and neat moldings. So, I enjoy watching the TV shows where they do renovations. But, I'm always blown away by the budgets. They seem waaaay low.
I watched one today where they relocated several walls including demo of the old walls and construction of new, painted the place and put in an entirely new kitchen including appliances. The whole thing was something like $60k

Am I missing something, or do I just live in the wrong part of the country?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-18-2017, 10:10 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know but I think I probably did that much work in a recent remodel for closer to 15k.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you get to see the contractors actual "time & materials list", there is not a good way to know for certain what is AND is not included in the bottom line price. As you stated it could be the "part of the country" that may be another factor. Be safe.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-19-2017, 08:23 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
You think $60,000.00 is "low" for a couple walls and a kitchen?

Friend of ours just had a 3 bedroom house completely stripped out and redone for a little less than $80,000.00.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 PM

View michaelpugh's Photo Album My Photos
We just remodeled our little house a while back. It was built in 1929. Took the walls down to the studs. All new plumbing and electrical new roof. All new cabinets with a built in covering a wall in the living room and a built in hutch in the kitchen. Had the floors sanded and restrained new windows. Just about everything in the house is new except the studs and exterior rock. It's only 1000 sqft and we spent about 60k on everything.

wish I had a cool line like everyone else...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode