Refinishing burl veneer on a dining table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

View bobbo37110's Photo Album My Photos
Refinishing burl veneer on a dining table

I definitely am not a furniture refinisher. I have an old dining table that has burl veneer on it. It has some spots on it where the top finish is off and also some cracking. I am not sure how to correct this without ruining the burl design. It matches my China cabinet so I really want to save it. I have tried to attach two photos to show the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dining Table B.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	9724  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 PM

View beerdog's Photo Album My Photos
HAve you had refinishing quoted from a professional? Just talking to someone might give you an idea if it is recoverable and what level of effort it would take.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like a beautiful piece of burl. If there are no pieces missing you should be able to refinish it and get it looking like new. As beerdog suggest, get an estimate from a professional. If it is going to be too expensive let us know, and collectively we will walk you through the refinishing process. Whatever you do, don't start sanding it. the burl may be very thin, and you could go through it before you realise it.

Gerry
post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for reply

I have not gotten a quote, but I can do that. I live in a very small town, but think I know of a professional refinisher. I definitely do not want to destroy it. Thank you both so much for your help. I will be in touch and let you know how the quote goes.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I am also curious as to what a professional will want to refinish the table. As I said, if it is going to be too costly come back to us and we'll go through the process together. It isn't all that hard, and makes for an excellent learning curve. Besides, it is kind of fun and fulfilling to do it yourself.

Gerry
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I will be sure to touch base with you if the quote is not within my budget. I will appreciate any help you can give me if the quote does not work out or if the phone number I have for the furniture finishing guy is not valid any more. I have refinished (unprofessionally) some furniture before, but nothing with the burl veneer. I definitely do not want to ruin the veneer.

Thanks so much
post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Furniture Craftsman

View FDSolutionsllc's Photo Album My Photos
Burl

I know photos can be misleading, but are you sure this is a burl? In looking at the wear showing in the picture, it almost looks like a painted grain?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Little Tenn. River (Tellico Lake) near Knoxville
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
FD, I think you are on to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDSolutionsllc View Post
I know photos can be misleading, but are you sure this is a burl? In looking at the wear showing in the picture, it almost looks like a painted grain?
I was spending more time looking at the trim with the 'white' scars. Me thinks that could be an inexpensive wood like poplar that was glazed to a darkness.
Also, the scraping damage to the surface finish don't look quite right. Would I be stretching this too far by saying a photo finish or possibly plastic laminate?
Again, photos can be very deceiving.
Maybe you could very carefully scrape the surface just past the finish and "see" what is underneath.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

We bought his table very inexpensively at a consignment store. It matched my mother in law's china cabinet that we owned. I don't know anything about wood so this very well could be painted. I will try to determine by the method you mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode