Radial Arm Saw rebuild story
I recently purchased a very old Sears 10" Radial Arm Saw for $60. # 113-23100, in working order but needed complete cleaning. I dragged it home and took the entire thing apart , wire brushed as much as I could then cleaned and lubed everything before putting it all back together. It worked like a charm until all of a sudden the motor seized after a kick back, so I thought. I searched the internet only to find some threads from years back stating that the motor was probably filled with saw dust. So this morning I took it all apart, literally, all apart, and indeed there was tons of saw dust under the motor shell cover. After cleaning ( small,brush and vacuum) , cleaned the brushes and anything else that could be cleaned and before putting the cover back on jumped an AC cord to the leads and low and behold it runs like a champ. I am not surprised by this, being an electronics person by trade, I have taken motors apart that were 30 years old and the brushes looked like they were brand new, there was always something else causing the issue, dirt, hard grease, rust, bad connections etc, I was very glad that this was the case here as well.
So, for $60, a bunch of hours taking it all apart , cleaning, lubing and re-assembling I now have a fully functional and smooth operating very old Sears Radial Arm Saw.
Craigs List is where I found it. There were three for about the same price the day I was looking.
I thought the motor story may have some value here for others.
PS, I did set the table up with a level cutting suface and a 90 degree adjustable fence to the blade. Now I just need another project !
Oh and this thing will have no mercy for fingers, hands, whatever is in the way.
Last edited by Tony J.; 06-28-2009 at 06:56 PM.