Woodworking Talk banner

Purple Heart Divot

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  woodnthings 
#1 ·
Greetings
Any ideas on how to repair this crater.

The piece is long gone so gluing it back is out. I've been toying with cutting a chip to size and gluing it in place but matching could be a problem. Sawdust and CA glue i think are out as this might make a bigger mess. The other alternative might be to do an inlay of sorts. Problem is the chip is not center in either direction and would probably look odd.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
practice on a scrap first

Your biggest issue will be matching the color and grain of an insert "patch". If it were mine, I would create a shallow rounded end "mortise" using a router with a straight bit and a small template. Then make a rounded end patch to insert into the opening. Practice first of course.

If you have a router edge guide and a plunge base router, you wouldn't need the template. Just hold the guide firmly against the edge and make a shallow pass, probably 1/16" deep from the photo.

If you don't think the rounded ends work best, square them up and make a rectangular patch instead. Very sharp chisels are a must in that case. Score your lines first with a sharp knife, then chisel to them using this approach, making a dutchman:

http://makezine.com/projects/dutchman-wood-repair/

Reactions: keith.urry
#12 ·
This was suggested in post 7

What if you routed a trough in either side where captured checkers (or chess men) could be kept?
Same idea suggested above. :wink2:

#10 ·
Thank you so much for the great suggestions and compliments. I think I'm going to sift through some off cuts and see if I can find a match for an inlay. Failing that possibly matching inlays on opposing sides. Probably Walnut or Wenge.
How did it happen .... by mistake.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.