I did not realize this until after i finished. The smell irritates my throat and my nervous system. Can polyurethane make someone sick or allergic?
I opened the windows to let some air in and the smalle is still in the room. is there a better way to get rid of the smell or TIME is the only cure?
I've never heard of anyone being allergic to polyurethane, but it certainly seems like you had an allergic reaction.
Use a resporator next time you apply it.
Also, how you open the window has a LOT to do with how the room vents out. If you can, open windows and doors that face into the wind, and only one window on the opposite wall. If this is not an option, place a large fan in the doorway or largest window opening, (into the wind if possible) then open a small window as far away from the fan as possible. Each of these methods with build air pressure inside the room, and the vapors (and smells) will be pumped out of the room, rather than just drift out.
If you are spraying, cover the floor with cardboard or something disposable. Then get it out of the room as soon as you are done.
You might also try switching finishes. Water-based poly doesn't smell up an area like oil based. I think you can even put water based on top of oil based, but you can't do it the other way around.
Sorry you had such a bad reaction, and I wish you better luck!