Please advise, used Magic Eraser on Wood Floor and took off finish - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

View nonya's Photo Album My Photos
Please advise, used Magic Eraser on Wood Floor and took off finish

please help, i used magic eraser on my client's wood floor and it took the finish off I guess. Now there is a slight white mark on all the area's I tried to get the scuffs off. (see image attached).

Is there anything I can do to fix it, like use Murphy's Oil to blend back in??? Something simple please
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wc wood floor magic erased.jpg
Views:	1859
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	52736  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Absent Minded Alicorn

View Calzone's Photo Album My Photos
what finish was applied to the flooring?

Go to Lowe's, get a quart of mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool, pour a bit on the floor and rub lightly with the steel wool.
But before you do that, tell us what the finish is and for how long it has dried

If you really, and I mean REALLY are hard pressed finance wise, or you don't have any time to run to Lowe's, you can substitute the mineral spirits with soapy water, and the steel wool with sandpaper around 600 to 1000 grit sandpaper's gonna clog worse
you might be able to use any sandpaper, but if it's less than 600 grit, be VERY GENTLE! you don't want to strip the finish completely off, you just want to buff it to remove the mark.
but if you do use water, and that finish isn't thick, the water will likely seep through, expand the wood, and then you've really thrown a wrench in the cogs.

The Line below is false
The Line above is true

Last edited by Calzone; 10-13-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: added water part
post #3 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 08:39 AM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
It doesn't look like you took off the finish but rather left a scuff with magic eraser. Go to Lowes and get some Bona Kemi wood floor cleaner. Should clean it right up.

DO NOT USE MURPHY'S OIL.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #4 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 12:09 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
what finish was applied to the flooring?

Go to Lowe's, get a quart of mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool, pour a bit on the floor and rub lightly with the steel wool.
But before you do that, tell us what the finish is and for how long it has dried

If you really, and I mean REALLY are hard pressed finance wise, or you don't have any time to run to Lowe's, you can substitute the mineral spirits with soapy water, and the steel wool with sandpaper around 600 to 1000 grit sandpaper's gonna clog worse
you might be able to use any sandpaper, but if it's less than 600 grit, be VERY GENTLE! you don't want to strip the finish completely off, you just want to buff it to remove the mark.
but if you do use water, and that finish isn't thick, the water will likely seep through, expand the wood, and then you've really thrown a wrench in the cogs.
Bad advice all the way around in my opinion.

The problem is and this happens allot more then you think. People assume these sponges are well a sponge. They are not and I have seen people use them on door jams on there cars, ruining the finish because it works like sand paper.

Here is some info on why.

As for the fix for the problem I would much rather see some more experienced finishing members give there advice. You may be able to polish it out but I'm no where near an expert in finishing.

As for Big Dave's idea, I'm not sure if cleaning it will work since it is more then likely scratches. However it is a better option then adding more damage.

Any finishing experts out there?
post #5 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 12:26 PM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
>>>> the finish because it works like sand paper.

Bottom line, it's an abrasive and will dull a gloss surface.

The question that needs answering is what is the finish that's currently on the floor and when was it applied?

Howie..........
post #6 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 12:43 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
I would start with the least invasive procedure first that's why I suggested the cleaner. Also if it doesn't work you still have a product to clean the floor from this point on, no money wasted.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #7 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 PM

View Dave66's Photo Album My Photos
I doubt if you actually removed the finish - just scuffed it. That looks like prefinished laminate flooring and you may need to talk to the manufacturer about taking out scuffs. If you don't know the specific manufacturer, a call to any prefinished laminate floor company may get you some advice on what to try.

I sure wouldn't try anything unless I was sure it might work. Making it worse isn't a good plan.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardAcheson View Post
>>>> the finish because it works like sand paper.

Bottom line, it's an abrasive and will dull a gloss surface.

The question that needs answering is what is the finish that's currently on the floor and when was it applied?
I'm guessing from the look that the floor is a pre finished wood floor but I'm guessing at that.

I'm more interested in what he was trying to remove with the magic eraser and ow hard he was scrubbing to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I would start with the least invasive procedure first that's why I suggested the cleaner. Also if it doesn't work you still have a product to clean the floor from this point on, no money wasted.
I agree least invasive is best to start with.

I would think buffing/polishing of some sort but anything abrasive could cause more problems.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM

View farmall's Photo Album My Photos
if you can find out what finished was used, you could tape off those boards, scuff it with a scotchbrite pad and recoat them, immediately removing the tape and let it flow out. You don't even have to know the finish but it sure would help.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-15-2012, 05:21 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
The product is an abrasive- its tiny bits of melamine. or-- formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer .
The advise to find a fine polish to restore the shine should work if the floor finish is still thick enough. The fine abrasives in car polish/ wax mixes should work with the right amount of elbow grease. I'd try it on a less conspicuous spot. I have used them with a buffing pad on my ROS. It takes a while but does work. The problem is matching the surrounding shine but you can blend away from the damage to some extent.
Luck
post #11 of 16 Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For a real fine polish, you may want to try "Rotten Stone" (or rottenstone). This can restore a high gloss without removing much of the original finish. Again, the normal admonishment, to try in an inconspicuous place first.

George
post #12 of 16 Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

my reply

wow thx for all your replies. i haven't a clue what type of finish it is. so I shouldn't mop w/ Murphy's Oil? I haven't, thought it might help blend. the white spots are where I used the Magic Eraser. (I used the Magic Eraser on this client's floor because another client uses it to get scuffs off of her wood floor w/ no problems, I guess my other client has no wax finish??) (sorry, no expert here of course). Just looking for a very simple/home remedy solution - i'm not that ambitious haha :)
post #13 of 16 Old 10-17-2012, 10:43 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It just looks like the finish is scuffed to me. I would just polish it out by first rubbing it with 0000 steel wool and then use a rubbing compound to bring the sheen back. When you think you have the spot polished back I would use old english scratch cover for dark wood on it.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
It doesn't look like you took off the finish but rather left a scuff with magic eraser. Go to Lowes and get some Bona Kemi wood floor cleaner. Should clean it right up.

DO NOT USE MURPHY'S OIL.
Hi, thanks. I'm going to try Bona high gloss polisher Monday 4/8. Can I just spot wipe the area that the magic eraser left white mark on the wood floor?
post #15 of 16 Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
You are just now getting around to working on your clients floor - six months after the incident????

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #16 of 16 Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
You are just now getting around to working on your clients floor - six months after the incident????
this is a different incident.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode