Planer Info - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

View Skolzie's Photo Album My Photos
Planer Info

Hi. I'm new here, and not sure where I'm at, so I'll try and do this right. I am looking at a used planer, CENTRAL MACHINERY 12" model #95082. Seller claims he only planed a small quanity of boards. Please comment on the quality and reliability of said machine. Thanks! Skolzie. mobilunit4@frontiernet.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-30-2008, 11:00 PM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Little Tenn. River (Tellico Lake) near Knoxville
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Never had good luck with HF

tools. Motors and bearings burn out regularly. If you buy new from them, get the insurance and they will exchange things with no problem. it's just that you have to drive there regularly to exchange stuff.
I still buy stuff from HF, but not power tools.

Tony B
post #3 of 11 Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
tools. Motors and bearings burn out regularly. If you buy new from them, get the insurance and they will exchange things with no problem. it's just that you have to drive there regularly to exchange stuff.
I still buy stuff from HF, but not power tools.

Tony B

I second what Tony B said. I buy from HF, things like clamps, ods and ends, but not power tools They seem to be low quality. I have a few air nailers and staple guns that have held up well.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #4 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I assume that HF stands for Harbor Freight?? (What ever happened to the practice we were taught in English Class of first fully spelling out anything before using the initials eg. Harbor Freight (HF)?)

I have bought small cheap power tools such as a 4 1/2" grinder that I would use for occasional jobs.

I do not think I would purchase a major power tool there. Air tools may be OK.

G
post #5 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
I've had good luck with air tools and odds / ends like clamps and some hand tools... but not powertools.......
post #6 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 AM

View 16ga's Photo Album My Photos
I would not get it.

I have no experience with that exact planer but I do have a HF 10" that I got used. Its almost 10 years old and canít get any parts for it.
Plus my dealings with the company have been less then pleasant. Bought a few things from them and think the only thing that didnít fall apart was a hammer. Also found there costumer service to be very poor.

Just my opinion but Iím staying as far away from that company as I can now.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
If you read the reviews that you can find of their various machines, many owners have had excellent results with the 14" Band Saws, 6, and 7" jointers (albeit with a crummy fence), the 2HP dust collector (with some modifications) is in a LOT of woodworkers shops for good reason, and several models of drill presses are proving out to be good machines. HOWEVER, I have never heard any kind words on Central Machinery (Harbor Freight's house brand for electric power tools) benchtop tools, specifically the planers. Save your money and pick up a Ryobi AP1300 or Ridgid R4330 if you can find one used. I have an AP1301, which is an okay planer, but it lacks the infeed / outfeed tables and cutterhead locks of the now discontinued AP1300... The AP1301 is reported by several posters to lack a cutter head lock, but from what I can read in the owners manual, there is one. If you want to go with a new Planer, the AP1301 is a good unit. I have been very happy with mine so far...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

View Skolzie's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down Planer Info

Many thanks to the input on the Central Machinery planer. It's available for $100 off original price, but I still will pass. I am skeptical of Central Machinery equipment, and the responses reinforced my thinking. Skolzie.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2013, 03:01 PM

View ScStowaway's Photo Album My Photos
I see Im a little late on this thread, but I have the planer #95082. I was skeptical to buy, but needed one desperately and had little cash. Its been about 6 months and Im actually very satisfied, surprised actually. However, Its time to rotate the blades, the manual says remove the three hexhead screws to remove the blade guard... Where the hell is the third screw!?!? The images in the manual look like they were taken by Zack Morris's cell phone, worthless. Ive got the two out and the guard still feels pretty secured. Is there only two? Do I just need to give it some love taps? Thought id brows the interweb before i started beating on it, but still no answers. anyone? Bueller... Bueller?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-20-2015, 11:24 AM

View Sailhobie's Photo Album My Photos
phantom 3rd bolt on harbor freight 12" planer

Yeah I assume you figured this out already, but for anybody else out there... When changing the blades on the HF 12" planer, the label on the machine refers to 3 bolts to be removed, but there are actually only 2. The cover will seem very well secured when the 2 obvious bolts are removed but you need to gingerly slide it to the right to release it. Hope it helps someone out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sailhobie For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (08-20-2015)
post #11 of 11 Old 08-20-2015, 06:53 PM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
This thread has a long and useful life---thank you for the technical help--Mike---

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode