Placement of bench dog holes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

View cossack's Photo Album My Photos
Placement of bench dog holes

I am a beginner to woodworking, and I have built a simple bench from instructions in Wood Magazine. I have installed a Shop Fox D2525 9 quick release vice on the edge of the table. The bench turned out well, but the instructions do not give detail on placing the bench dog holes. I will be using the Veritas Bench Pups which only need a straight hole.
Do I line the holes up with the outer edge of the vice? How far apart do I make the holes? Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks to all who answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 01:45 AM
But No Glue...

View EnoughClamps's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen plans with the dog holes spaced every 6". I do not remember how far that vice opened. Your vice opens just over 10". I would suggest 6" to 8". If you did 12" there would be times when the piece you are trying to secure would be to long for one hole and to short for the next. At 3" apart might just be overkill.

As to how far from the edge, I am not sure.

Got any pics of the bench? Guys around here like looking at pictures...

Enough Clamps,
But No Glue...
_ Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. - gregL
_ Take the time to look into the grain of the wood as it emerges. It took a lot of years for that to grow, why waste it in chips and dust? - Sonny E.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Wishing he had a title...

View Kudzu's Photo Album My Photos
What he said. Less than your vice opening. And the closer they are together the less you have to open and close you vise each time you clamp a part. Not a big deal it's nice not to be able to clamp it quick.

Do you think you will ever add wood faces to the vice face? If so be sure to allow for those because they take away jaw travel.

Jeff
Kudzu Craft SOF boats
http://www.kudzucraft.com

Last edited by Kudzu; 06-20-2009 at 12:17 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
What he said. Less than you vice opening. And the closer they are together the less you have to open and close you vise each time you clamp a part. Not a big deal it's nice not to be able to clamp it quick.

Do you think you will ever add wood faces to the vice face? If so be sure to allow for those because they take away jaw travel.
That's the beauty of a quick release vice.

Very good point, and one I am sure a lot of people don't think of. [Including me]

Gerry
post #5 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. How far apart do I make the two holes? From the picture in the instructions it looks like they are situated a little less than the width of the vice.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

To clarify, the instructions in the magazine have two rows of bench dog holes extending back from the vice. I see in some books they only have one row of holes lined up with the metal dog in the vice. Which do all of you prefer? If I use the two hole method what are the rows lined up with?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Wishing he had a title...

View Kudzu's Photo Album My Photos
Ahh. Probably for a twin screw vice. You want them in line with you dogs. You could add another vice or a twin screw vice. I didn't put a second set in mine since I was not planning on another vice. Haven't regretted that choice.

If your drilling round holes the you can add them latter too.

Jeff
Kudzu Craft SOF boats
http://www.kudzucraft.com
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Hole placement

If you want 2 holes in rows behind the vise, put them 1"or 2" in from each end, left to right. If you use 1 hole, put it on the centerline of the vise. Two holes means the the end of the work you are "clamping" is parallel with the vise jaw. One hole would allow for more flexibility in non-paralleism. Two holes could have a bar that fits across to clamp narrow pieces. It's kinda what you want to some extent. There will be a way to clamp pieces no matter which way you go. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode