Woodworking Talk banner

New Mitre Sled

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  woodnthings 
#1 ·
So I have been meaning to post this for a while. I have been building a cabinet/drawers for my parents house. Much of the project needed accurate mitres and I have had bad experiences in the past cutting them on a chop saw. Since I just made a crosscut sled for the table saw I figured I would make a mitre sled. So here it is:

As with my crosscut sled, I used ¾” birch ply for the base, doug fir for all the parts on top, and red oak for the sled runners.

Here’s the underside:

Now that I had these two big sleds, I needed a place to keep them. I have a lumber rack system that I built, and on it, is a swing out section for holding sheet goods. I took a 2x4 and cut a rabate down the length of it. Then I attached it to the bottom front of the sheet storage unit. Both sleds and my auxiliary fence system, now sit nicely out of the way.

A couple of shop made toggles and they are held in place:

I finished the cabinet yesterday, so I will have to get that posted soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
toolguy,

There's no reason to ever push the sled far enough into the blade to have the blade come out of the back. All of the cutting is done up front at the apex of the 90 degree V. You can see in the pictures of the bottom, how far into the ply the blade travels. It'll never need to go further than that.

#5 · (Edited)
rear, front, back ...?

Very Nice sled! I like the way the stock angles away from the saw into the work area which allows longer pieces to be cut.

I assume this is the front, the operators view... the back has the saw kerf through it. The blade is still covered when the cut is complete, unless I have it bass ackwards...:blink:

the back;

#9 ·
Woodnthings,

I think that we are looking at the sled differently. To me the front of the sled is the part that touches the blade first. The back is what I put my hands on. I guess I think of it more like driving a car and the front is the part furthest in front of me.

#10 · (Edited)
woah ....

If that's the case, the back of the sled is at the front of the saw.:eek:
If I stand in front of the saw, the part closest to me is the front, and furthest away is the rear, like the outfeed table is in the back or at the rear of the saw. Throwin' in the car analogy makes no sense to me... :blink: Oh well, I guess I've been doin' it wrong for 55 years.... :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.