Need instruction as to how to install a vise - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

View flywelder's Photo Album My Photos
Need instruction as to how to install a vise

Hi Y'all, I have a wood vise to attache to my work bench. There were no instructions, no pictures. I have held the vise to the edge of the work bench, yet it is not obvious to me just how to attach this vise? The vise is a Columbian 6 1/2 inch vise ( by Wilton). This vise for some reason does not resemble other vises that I have seen attached to work benches, but I can not see why it does not? Have any of you installed one of these? Have you pictures you could post of it in place on your bench? I appreciate your help! Flywelder 9-23-2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have a picture of it? I went to the Wilton website and it seems like all the vises are mounted to the top of the bench with 4 bolts.

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
post #3 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 02:42 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
You probably have to put blocking on the bottom side of the bench to bolt the vice to from the bottom. You want the top of the vice even in height to the benchtop so figure how much blocking you need, attach that and bolt the vice to it. (at least that is the way I did mine and I countersunk the fixed jaw into the end of the bench)
post #4 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Is it a woodworkers vice?

Got a pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywelder View Post
Hi Y'all, I have a wood vise to attache to my work bench. There were no instructions, no pictures. I have held the vise to the edge of the work bench, yet it is not obvious to me just how to attach this vise? The vise is a Columbian 6 1/2 inch vise ( by Wilton). This vise for some reason does not resemble other vises that I have seen attached to work benches, but I can not see why it does not? Have any of you installed one of these? Have you pictures you could post of it in place on your bench? I appreciate your help! Flywelder 9-23-2009
post #5 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I think Daren may be correct. But first look at this image of the vice. The box it came in says 61/2 inch Woodcraft vise Columbian by Wilton
Flywelder
Attached Images

post #6 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Step one

Remove the front jaw by unscrewing it all the way. Locate it on the edge of the bench where you think you want it. As was posted you might need a block underneath it to keep the jaws below the work surface. Depending on the thickness of the bench and the type of wood/material you can screw it directly to the edge using no 10 or no 12 wood screws, about 3" long drilling a pilot hole for the body of the screw and a smaller bit for the threads..Beeswax will aide in getting the screws into hardwood if that's the case

Step 2 reinstall the front jaw.
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #7 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

AH!!!

Great! Thanks a bunch!

Thanks to all !
post #8 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

I have to ask, how do we place a "quote" or a "saying'...under our names like so many of you have?
and Such as woodnthings has with the smiley face icons.

What we don't know ....makes a big book!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

well shock me! I have what I was asking about, and don't know how I created it oh well

What we don't know ....makes a big book!
post #10 of 11 Old 09-24-2009, 06:29 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"Beeswax will aide in getting the screws into hardwood if that's the case"

If, like me, you do not have beeswax laying around your shop then a bar of standard hand soap will work very well. Just drag the screw across the soap and then screw away.

G
post #11 of 11 Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM

View GerryB's Photo Album My Photos
OR:
You could pick up a toilet wax ring (the kind without the plastic insert) and have enough wax for a gazillion (or at least half a gazillion) screws. They're only a couple bucks & will last a loooong time.
GerryB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode