Woodworking Talk banner

Need help with table build

741 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Toolman50 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, new user here.

Getting ready to build a farmhouse table, and I've pretty much got my plans figured out, just trying to decide what wood to use. I bought some European beech that I'll be using for the table top, but when it comes to the base, not sure which direction to go.

I guess what I'm mainly wondering, is whether it would be a terrible idea to build the base out of a softer wood like pine or douglas fir. Obviously that would be a much cheaper option than a hardwood, but I wasn't sure whether it would be structurally sound. Planning to paint the base, so appearance of the wood isn't a big concern.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

#2 ·
I think you would rather use a wood that is closer match to the Beech. An Oak would be a better match than the Pine or Fir.
Both Pine and Fir are softwoods. The Beech is a hardwood.
Structurally, the softwoods will be fine. And you are going to paint the base, so the color or grain of the wood will be hidden with paint. But the base of a table gets a lot of abuse and I would still prefer a hardwood. If the price difference causes you to choose a softwood, I would recommend Fir or Yellow Pine over White Pine which is too soft in my opinion.

Reactions: Lexy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.