Need help.. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

View kbatdorf22's Photo Album My Photos
Need help..

I live in Montana and have access to all the free wood from early 1900s homesteads i can dream of. Came across an awesome door from an old grainery. Wondering what I should consider selling for? I'm new to the game and would hate to give it away for too cheap. Pricing is not my strong point. PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Assume you are the buyer, not the seller...

Where would you look for old barnwood, rustic planks, reclaimed doors etc? Go through those sources and get a feel for what those suppliers are asking and for what type of materials. The market in rural Montana will be drastically different than in urban cities like Detroit, Chicago or smaller cities around the country where folks are using reclaimed wood for decorative panels and interiors.

There are architectural salvage places around the country and they will have old doors. Flea markets around here have been known to have an old door or two or a table made from one....
The market will determine the "value". In my case, I advertised barnwood for sale and I had a pickup truck full. It was all sold in 2 days.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Can still count to 10 yea

View darins's Photo Album My Photos
woodnthings kind of touched on it, where in Big Sky Country are you? I'm betting the market in Conrad or Choteau is drastically different than Billings or Bozeman. Location will definitely play a factor in price.

Rule #7 Always be specific when you lie.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2017, 10:13 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
You have scored some outstanding wood. Good luck as recycled wood can make for some outstanding projects!
My parents built a house in 1970- the mantel was a main beam out of a 100+ year old farmhouse. It measured about 8X14 and was about 10 feet long. The carpenter made a few hatchet marks to make it look more rustic and stained it. He lifted it in place and toenailed into the studs by himself. He was about 5' 6" and weighed abut 125 lb.! How he managed, I'll never know.

Marriage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond. Later, you wish you had a club and a spade.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

View kbatdorf22's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys! I'm in NE Montana. Originally from pa and still young.. I appreciate the help and advice. I'm a farm/ranch hand most of the year and guide hunts later in the year.. always loved woodworking so I'm looking to start my own business.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-12-2017, 04:36 PM

View ronbergley's Photo Album My Photos
Value is going to change a lot depending on where you are selling. Sounds like items like you are talking about are in easy supply where you are so prices are going to be low. You might actually accumulate some of this stuff and work a deal in a large city to sell it where pieces like those are a bit rare. Nice wood is definitely getting more expensive these days and old millwork can go for a good price. Good luck.

Ron
Quality Custom Interiors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode