My Top 5 woodworking books which I have read. Share your's - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdonhowe

post #1 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Woodworking addict

View Steveayerse's Photo Album My Photos
Arrow My Top 5 woodworking books which I have read. Share your's

Hey guys, most of woodworkers often read books to expand their knowledge so it would ne nice if everyone could share their favourite books about woodworking. So here is my collection :
TOP 5 Woodworking books I have used to move to intermediate level of woodworking :)
1. The Complete Manual of Woodworking
My review: A well-crafted and nicely illustrated reference manual for the woodworker. It covers all the basics for hand and power tools, and has chapters on wood as a material, workshops, bending wood, veneering, wood carving and finishing. You'll probably keep this book as long as you can make sawdust.

2. I Can Do That! Woodworking Projects - Updated and Expanded
My review: This book is great, it is not only a book to read but also a must have. It contains detailed information and tips which is particularly important for beginners. I highly recommend the book, additionally to the projects it contains. Lenguage is very easy to understand and whatever it's technical it will contain the explanation.

3. The Complete Book of Woodworking
My review: This is a great book full of very useful information. This book was easy to follow. It is about 480 pages with 150 pages of reference and the rest of nice project plans, pictures and tips.

4. The Big Book of Weekend Woodworking: 150 Easy Projects
My review: This book was a touchdown for a Christmas present from my wife. This book seem to be feasible and have enough instructions and blueprints for a newer woodworker to complete.

5. Woodworking basics
My review: Very good book for the beginning word worker. Withing the first two chapters I was amazed at how much I had already learned. The chapters are short and to the point which is exactly my type of reading.

If you guys can't find these books, I suggest to read my blog there will be "Best woodworking books" with links, because I can't post here.

Also I would really appreciate if everyone actively post their books, even 1 or 2 books :)

Read my personal blog about woodworking tools and learn from my mistakes and success !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 05:55 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
My mindset is more into the designs and processes for coming up with a concept and achieving it.
Been an Architect and Designer for over 40 years.
Even though these books do show plans, most of my work is never put down on paper or computer.
I free form things and let the wood do the talking to me. Whenever I start on paper, it generally never comes out like the initial plan anyways, since I change it up as the project moves along.
Still it's an interesting thing to see how others come up with unique "one of a kind" projects.

So heres my selections:

1) Designing Furniture from concept to shop drawing: a practical guide.
By Seth Stem.
Taunton Press
Printing 1989
It shows various modern/other designs with plans and processes.

2) Making Fine Furniture..designer-makers and their projects
By Tom Darby
Guild of Master Craftsmen Publications.
Printing 1992
This book shows the work of various artisans and some design plans, but it is mainly (to me) a idea book.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have never quite understood what is a "blog." As a blogger maybe you can explain just what I would get from reading one.

George

PS Never read any woodworking books.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 07:36 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Burton's...Charleston Furniture,1700-1825(first edition) is probably my favorite.

Abrams...Southern Furniture,1680-1830(the colonial Williamsburg collection book),has to be at the top of anyone's list as well.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 08:06 AM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
The New Woodworker Handbook by Tom Hintz - Written for woodworkers by a woodworker. Great for newbies and veterans alike. It's one of the few books that touches on shop layout, and the use and care of each tool, in addition to the traditional joinery, wood types, and finishing techniques. Loads of good color pics too.

The Complete Book of Woodworking - Does a good job with the basic stuff. Lots of project examples.

Table Saw Magic by Jim Tolpin - A must have for anyone who features that table saw in their shop.

Joint Book: The Complete Guide to Wood Joinery by Terrie Noll

The Router Book: A Complete Guide to the Router and Its Accessories by Pat Warner - Being the most versatile tool in the shop makes this book a must have if you have a router....if you don't, get one!
post #6 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 09:01 AM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Tolpin "Table Saw Magic"
Tibbetts "The Art of Segmented Wood Turning"
Flexner "Understanding Wood Finishing"
Nagyslanczy "Setting Up Shop"
Ramsey "Pricing Your Work
post #7 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 09:55 AM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
I also was wondering why the blog stuff but I guess you just stoped in just for that and your gone now..
post #8 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 12:43 PM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
I can't say I've read 5 books to have a top 5, but the complete book of Woodworking is definitely at the top of the list of books I've seen. I bought it about 10 years ago and I still flip through it even now and then and get ideas for different ways to do things.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Woodworking addict

Cool

First of all the blog is where I write something useful for others, or at least trying to... and secondly
Aard, BWSmith, notskot, UnisawGuy, d_slat - thank you guys for such a response I looked to your books and already made notes which I will read next ! THANK YOU!!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 03:45 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
First off..Nice blog..Secondly is your plan to make money with your blog and do you have a problem with telling why you do it...You dont seem to want to talk about it..
post #11 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 04:26 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Been reading Paul Sellers book, Essential woodworking hand tools..
https://rokesmith.com/shop/?gclid=Cj...r2cxoCTjLw_wcB
Well written and thought out. There are lots of little things about hand tools I just never really considered.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #12 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 05:27 PM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
The only woodworking "how-to" book I can recall buying and/or reading was Creative Woodturning by Dale Nish, back in the late 70's, early 80's. I had an interest in turning at the time, which has since dissipated, and his book was useful & interesting.

The books I buy & read now are mostly for inspiration & ideas. I have many relating to Mission, Arts and Crafts, Stickley, & Shaker styles, plus a few other interests. Some have plans, which I don't generally use.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 05:51 PM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
Being a novice - heck I really don't even consider myself a wood worker yet, I don't have 5 books - but I do have 4 that I've read or am in the process of reading..

• The complete table saw book
  • Understanding wood finishing - Flexner
  • The complete book of wood working
  • Wood working with the router - Hylton & Matlack

Plus I have some indoor and outdoor project books, black & decker series and a bunch of Sunrise publication books

I read a lot :)

Wood working basics sounds interesting - thanks for that one

They said I could be anything... So I became Sarcastic!
They also said making drawers is easy... I think they lied :(
post #14 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 05:53 PM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
After a while, woodworking books tend to blur together, though that might be due to my aging brain! A couple that stand out to me as having unique information, explained clearly, are the already mentioned Flexner's "Understanding Wood Finishing", and John White's "Care and Repair of Shop Machines" (not woodworking plans or techniques, but terrific for tuning up stationary power tools).
new2woodwrk likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Woodworking addict

Thank you guys for sharing these books, I have already started reading one that you recommended - Guild of Master Craftsmen Publications

Read my personal blog about woodworking tools and learn from my mistakes and success !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode