Miter on outside corners - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Miter on outside corners

Just finished looking at the chessboard. I have a question about cutting 45 degree angles for outside trim. I think that there was "rule of thumb" for this but not real sure about how to do it without the pieces being too long or too short. Mainly too short as, obviously, the long pieces can be trimmed. I marvel at those who get a good fit the first time. Thanks in advance.

My wife gives sound advice. 99% sound and 1% advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-19-2017, 04:33 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
it can be calculated, but when I built mine I eyeballed it and trimmed the pieces (with the miter saw) until they fit just right. I didn't even pull wood out of the attic for the trim until after the playing surface was completed and let sit for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the quick reply and the great photos. I sold cabinets for a while and have seen some trim work where the miters look like the trim was one piece around the doors or windows.

My wife gives sound advice. 99% sound and 1% advice.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 PM
Got Sawdust?

Mine aren't perfect, for sure, but considering the image resolution (on my computer screen anyway) of the pictures I posted are actually larger than the trim is in real life, I think I did o.k.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Is the chess board veneered or solid wood? If it is solid, your nice miters may not look so good down the line! That would be a case of major cross graining, never a good idea.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Got Sawdust?

Solid wood.

- Frank Sinatra
post #7 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 PM

View TimeTurnsElastic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
Is the chess board veneered or solid wood? If it is solid, your nice miters may not look so good down the line! That would be a case of major cross graining, never a good idea.

Could you please elaborate? I am in a similar situation with my first attempt at a table. Top is walnut ply and will be trimmed with 2" wide solid walnut, mitered with splines. Lengthwise the grain runs parallel to the grain on the table top but the short sides, perpendicular. Not ideal for design but I've seen it look ok when executed and finished nicely. Is this cross graining issue only a problem when the piece and edging are both solid? Or am I going to have problems too. Sorry for the thread jack Cowpokey, but maybe others will also be able to benefit from Larry's wisdom. Thanks.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Got Sawdust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTurnsElastic View Post
Sorry for the thread jack Cowpokey, but maybe others will also be able to benefit from Larry's wisdom. Thanks.

It's not my thread, I only posted my experience for the OP. Carry on.

- Frank Sinatra
post #9 of 10 Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
fear not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTurnsElastic View Post
Could you please elaborate? I am in a similar situation with my first attempt at a table. Top is walnut ply and will be trimmed with 2" wide solid walnut, mitered with splines. Lengthwise the grain runs parallel to the grain on the table top but the short sides, perpendicular. Not ideal for design but I've seen it look ok when executed and finished nicely. Is this cross graining issue only a problem when the piece and edging are both solid? Or am I going to have problems too. Sorry for the thread jack Cowpokey, but maybe others will also be able to benefit from Larry's wisdom. Thanks.

Plywood does not move like solid wood, so you will be fine. Solid wood moves across the grain, but not with the grain ... as a rule.
The width will change, but not the length, in other words.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #10 of 10 Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Schweitzer View Post
I do not understand what/why you are saying this.

Over the years I have made many, many outside mitered corners. None have ever changed look over time

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode