micro shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

7Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

View dr. awsome's Photo Album My Photos
micro shop

I'm looking for pictures of a micro wood shop. The space I have available to me is a 8'X10' shed and I need to pack a full shop in it. I've searched around online with no success. Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-09-2009, 12:19 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Just about everyone makes smaller shop tools. Table saws, band saws, drill presses, and on and on. But like everything else, smaller tools have there place. I recommend you look at building a tool rack with a small hollow top work bench. you mount each of your tools to a 2x2 sheet of plywood that fits in the top of the work bench as well as slides into the tool rack. this way you can have quite a few shop tools in a small area.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #3 of 51 Old 12-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
My shop is 12'X16' and the biggest help I have is
my Hitachi table saw.

It folds up very easily and has wheels and a handle.
It fits under the work bench when not in use.

It is in the far right of the picture. Under the bench.

It was under $200 at Lowes and has done me well
for several years now.

post #4 of 51 Old 12-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
I saw a video the other day of.....

a guy using his lathe and he had it clamped to his workbench. Great idea,
post #5 of 51 Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Small shop suggestions

Go vertical young man and use casters on everything you can. You can build simple storage boxes on wheels that roll under counters or buy cheap dollies at HF and just stack on top of them, but make them modular, the same size, so they stack and label everything so even if you can't see it you can find it. I don't use glass jars for storing anything since they will break. I use dog food cans, plastic bins, cardboard cups, baby wipe boxes, etc. Make a lumber and pipe clamp rack. It's not so much about how much space you have but rather how organized to make it. By going vertical you can store lighter boxes overhead and some lengths of lumber. Discarded overhead kitchen cabinets make great storage.
Watch your dust collection in a small space use good shop vacs and when possible.Keep a window open and an exhaust fan running to cycle the air. You can buy or make a room air filtration unit with a small blower and some furnace filters...just a box with the blower inside and an open end for the filters. Even a box fan with a furnace filter on the intake side will capture a lot of airborne dust. That's what I used before I went "professional" and got a Jet AGFS-1000B
3 speed air filtration unit overhead. Keep your solvents and thinners in a metal cabinet if possible. OK you get the ideas... bill
Here's a link to help: http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...-organization/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-09-2009 at 07:28 AM.
post #6 of 51 Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to take a look at the Shopsmith Mark 5. Not the answer for everything, nor is it perfect for every job, but it does pack a lot of function into a small package. They can be purchased used at some very reasonable prices. The other possible idea is to stay primarily with hand held power tools and limit the stationary equipment to the bare necessities. Put casters under any stationary equipment so you can roll it around. Ditto on your work bench.

Gerry
Toolman50 likes this.
post #7 of 51 Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I already have my table saw, band saw, jointer and lathe. They are all larger stationary tools, which is my main problem. I was able to get super good deals on all of them or I would have gone for smaller options. I don't need to assemble much in the shop and during good weather will have the option of rolling tools outside for a better work space. Almost like an outdoor shop with a 10'X8' storage space.
post #8 of 51 Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I really like the idea of a box fan with a filter on it. I don't think I would have thought of that on my own. I already have a good shop vac and am brainstorming ways to make some sort of pre-filter to catch as much as possible to save on filters.
post #9 of 51 Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=dr. awsome;106773]I already have my table saw, band saw, jointer and lathe. They are all larger stationary tools, which is my main problem. I was able to get super good deals on all of them or I would have gone for smaller options.
I can see why you are having space issues. At least you have a good start on equipment.
A couple of thoughts/suggestions: If your lathe does not have a cabinet under it you could build one with drawers and of course casters, and when not in use it could be rolled up against the wall. On the wall over it you could build a hinge down work bench which could rest on the lathe cabinet for support. This would give you storage space and work bench as well as your lathe, all in one fairly small footprint.

Gerry
post #10 of 51 Old 12-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Howard

View Inthewoodshop's Photo Album My Photos
My apologies for ignoring any protocols existing here - I have never posted to this forum before, yet I do read it.

I have a 10 x 10 woodshop that I use mainly hand tools in (just because of space). Your mileage may vary, but here is a link to my website where you can see pictures. The shop has changed a lot and I am planning an update, so you must realize it looks very different now. There may be something there which can help, or maybe not. More space would be nice but, for right now, it is an excellent little shop. Here is the link:
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/shops/index.shtml
post #11 of 51 Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

@ Inthewoodshop, thanks for the link! That is just the kind of info I'm looking for. Your diagram gave me some good ideas of how to pack more into the shop. I would love to see more after you have updated the sight.
post #12 of 51 Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Howard

View Inthewoodshop's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I would love to see more after you have updated the sight.
Your wish is my command. I didn't have to go to work today so I completed the update. Here is the link. The shop has changed a lot.

I am updating the link because I am getting a lot of hits from this post but I have completely redone the website. The new link is:

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/tour-my...2-present.html

The link goes to my shop tour page where there are a number of layouts and updates posted.

Howard

Last edited by Inthewoodshop; 07-11-2011 at 03:26 PM.
post #13 of 51 Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

That was a great update. I'm sure I will be referring back to your page several times when I start setting up my shop. At the moment I'm busy making Christmas presents in my dirt floor basement but I hope to start setting up my shop in the next month or so. Any more info would be great! Currently it's looking like I should try and get a smaller table saw.
post #14 of 51 Old 06-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Taf

View Taf's Photo Album My Photos
Question Did it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. awsome View Post
That was a great update. I'm sure I will be referring back to your page several times when I start setting up my shop. At the moment I'm busy making Christmas presents in my dirt floor basement but I hope to start setting up my shop in the next month or so. Any more info would be great! Currently it's looking like I should try and get a smaller table saw.
I know this is reviving a very old thread, but I was wondering if you might have built your micro-shop and what you think about it now?

I have the opportunity to build a shed up next to my house for a workshop, but the max size would be 8x12 with both ends taken up by windows/doors so no wall space on the ends. I am trying to decide if the cramped work-space would be worth all the work to build the shed there, or if it would be better to keep working out of my dining room until I can afford to put on a real garage/workshop in 5 to 10 years.
post #15 of 51 Old 06-06-2016, 12:31 PM

View mat 60's Photo Album My Photos
I would build the shed first myself..That way when you get a garage you will will be able to use the shed for all the yard stuff..Cars go outside not in the garage...Tell the wife.. lol
post #16 of 51 Old 06-06-2016, 01:13 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
My first shop was a one car garage and I built cabinets and doors for customers. My solution was to use machinery small enough to move and set the equipment in the driveway and left the garage for the bench and shelving.
post #17 of 51 Old 06-07-2016, 01:05 AM

View jessesnowden's Photo Album My Photos
http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5uqkzqxw.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...psk0ffmnyr.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...pskmex68fp.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...psrdootz1h.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...psrkvnl5hc.jpg

This is a single car garage. If I were to do it again I'd do a french cleat system instead of that tool grid. Biggest piece of advice is shelving floor to ceiling. At least more than cabinets or drawers. The stuff you put on the shelves will change all the time, in size and amount. And definitely over engineer them. I didn't plan on putting slabs on the top shelf, but there they are. Haha. shelves on the right really only exist to keep the work bench clean. I clear it off after every project. And it turns into a heap again.

Tool carts take up a lot of space so I keep everything movable under the bench or on one of the shelves. having a totally clear work area means I can start fresh every time I go in there. Just my 2 cents, good luck man! That's a super tight space.

Last edited by jessesnowden; 06-07-2016 at 01:13 AM.
post #18 of 51 Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
In my new homes location I've got a 10' x 16' insulated shed. Coming from a house with a 2 1/2 car garage, I HATE IT!.

I build tables and some chairs. After many of the tools were put in the shed it only left me floor area of 7" x 14'. If I decided to make a kitchen table of any good size it would be nearly impossible.I still have an enclosed car trailer 3/4's full of mostly tools with no place to put them. Wood storage is in a 3rd location except a few pieces. In a 4th location, the front porch of the house, I have a table saw and a few sawhorses with a plywood top as a work station.

Nothing is consolidated and I'm running back and forth when doing any project.

Plans are for a 30' x 40' quonset building. THEN Things Will Work.

If you are doing small projects a small location will work, I guess, but to build substantial pieces this isn't optimal.
post #19 of 51 Old 06-07-2016, 07:15 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
After many of the tools were put in the shed it only left me floor area of 7" x 14'. If I decided to make a kitchen table of any good size it would be nearly impossible..
Unless you build everything standing on edge, I'd think EVERYTHING would be nearly impossible in a 7 inch by 14 foot area ...
post #20 of 51 Old 06-07-2016, 04:08 PM
Taf

View Taf's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat 60 View Post
Cars go outside not in the garage...Tell the wife.. lol
Er... totally agree with you... but I AM the wife. Hubby is the one who whines when he has to shovel 3 ft of snow of the car to get in. LOL

I know it goes against the grain, but hubby does all the computer and geek and cooking stuff, and all the power tools in the house are mine. Though I have to admit carrying and installing a 500 lb sliding glass door needed the hubby for an extra pair of hands and an extra set of muscles.

:)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode