Woodworking Talk banner

Lumber Storage idea?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TimPa 
#1 ·
I would like to get my wood supply (plywood, 2x4s - 2x12s, dowels, etc.) off the floor and I'm looking for storage ideas. My shop is in my unfinished basement (9' ceilings) with exposed joist. I would prefer to not attach anything to the sidewalls of the basement. I'm thinking about hanging a wood rack from the ceiling. Any recommendations or lessons learned from doing this?

Thanks

#2 ·
I have three overhead wood storage racks. One is for full sheets of plywood and the other two for various other lumber. Works very well and keeps wood out of the way.

Just be sure that the joists are sufficiently strong to handle the loads. If in doubt I would tie the joists to the rafters and/or where feasible provide extra support from the floor. It is best to keep the loads as close to the wall as possible.

George

#3 ·
I had 3 shelf like brackets welded up from 1/4" x 2" steel. they hang from the top of the block ledge and come down about 4'. 14" long horizontal pieces were welded to them (with angle supports underneath) I placed them 4' apart and they handle almost all of my long boards. I slide my sheet good in behind my jointer. I can't imagine trying to lift 3/4" ply up very much.

#6 ·
This method uses the same amount of wall space as leaning the plywood against a wall. Neat project, but I don't see any benefit other than lifting the edge off the floor.
I lean my sheet materials against a wall anyway. Never been a problem.

#9 ·
I made this rack to store lumber on edge. I can slide any board out to check grain, etc. without moving any other board.
Tops of the 2x4 uprights are clamped to the ceiling beams.
It's just 6, 2x4's with dados, and 7/16" particle board.
Works great for me.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.