Looking for template - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 12 Old 01-05-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for template

Anyone know where I can get this made? I need it perfectly the same on both sides. I can get close, but not close enough for my liking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wave Temp 1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	270817  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Why not rough cut another one with a jig saw or band saw and clamp or screw the pattern to the board and use a router with a flush trim bit and route it. It should come out exact.
Toolman50 likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

That's how I got this one. I can't seem to get it exact. I am making tongue & groove wainscoting and I need it better then I can get it. The original was a mirror but you can use it only once to run a bit / bearing. After that it just cracks and breaks. So I'm looking for a place or someone that can get it exact.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 06:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If the router doesn't do it for you I would take my time and cut the template close to the line with a bandsaw and sand it to the line with a spindle sander. From there you should be able to use a router to make more of them. If the parts are solid wood you will need a really sharp router bit and go real slow when going against the grain. Other than that about all you could do is find a custom millwork shop to make it for you.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 07:51 PM
J L

View J L's Photo Album My Photos
The advice you've gotten thus far is solid. I'll also throw out that if you're not able to do it, find someone with a CNC. They can make that cut out as exact as you want it.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Something wrong if using a bearing and cracking....sounds as your bearing is froze/not rolling.

You need a cnc machine to create a pattern the easiest and exactly......You can not mirror and cut precise to fit.....the width of your bit will make it incorrect BUT you could basically draw a single line design as you desire down the center. BUT the pattern must be made the width of your bit plus the one bearing edge on each side of line....it would be a internal cut though..... for an external cut the width of the bearing/guide would need to be removed.

I feel I'm leaving something out but this is the basic for a matching usable pattern....same line could be carbon traced to each side then add or remove the desired waste.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
.......... http://www.tsmfarms.com .......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-06-2017, 09:59 PM

View Improv's Photo Album My Photos
You could just use a circle jig. I count 12 individual centers to accomplish that.

Regards,
Steve
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, maybe I didn't make myself clear and that is always a good possibility. lol I had a mirror that was shaped like this. I copied the pattern and then band sawed it out and then used the mirror as the template. The bearing was/is just fine. It's the mirror that doesn't stand up to the tool. Anyway, I have sanded, cut, did all I can do to make it come out the same on both sides. I'm not that good at freehand. So yes, I do need someone that can do it that can make it exact on both sides. A cnc would be just great if I knew someone that had one. That's why I asked in here. I thought someone would know where I can get this made for me. As you can see, all I would need is to have someone cut one edge exactly the same as the other one so they fit together just perfectly. I know of no not local that I can get to cut it for me.

So thanks anyway. I appreciate all the help you have offered.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworks View Post
Anyone know where I can get this made? I need it perfectly the same on both sides. I can get close, but not close enough for my liking.
YEP!!! With a title "Looking for a Template" and the words and pic you showed VERY easy to misunderstand....LOL!!!!

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
.......... http://www.tsmfarms.com .......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Well thank you for all the comments. I've looked into it the best I can and it seems that just to make this one template it is over $200.00. So I guess I'll find something else to put on the walls. lol
post #11 of 12 Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
just to be clear ...

Do you want an exact duplicate of the "mirror" shape you posted in the photo?

Or, do you want a perfectly drawn, balanced symmetrical edge on both sides, not necessarily an exact copy of the mirror's edges.

If you were to make a layout using a draftman's compass and balanced centerlines and raduis lines would that work?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #12 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

I want it to match on both sides. Since I'm making the panels tongue and groove, it has to match. I might have a way of doing it that was suggested. I'll try it and hopefully it will all come out good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode