Looking for flip over, revolving, rotating, spinning, work benches - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for flip over, revolving, rotating, spinning, work benches

Searched each of those terms above and can't find anything, although I'm 90% sure I saw someone here who had one that was awesome. I just can't find it now.

My workshop is a two car garage with a large pop up camper planted squarely in the middle of it, so space is at a premium. I'm looking for a way to build three spinning three way tables to hold my planer, band saw, benchtop sander, grinder, drill press, etc. Ultimately I'd like for them to be triangles with one side being a flat workspace.

Anyone have ideas and or pictures to get me started? Thanks!!

Ut Prosim
The Following User Says Thank You to Taylormade For This Useful Post:
SteveEl (04-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
I recall seeing that once too........

I, too, have seen something to this effect, but I don't remember where. I would think that it would be very useable for the smaller items (benchtop sander, planer, grinder), but the items that are taller probably would be too tall to spin around. They would probably be better used in a workstation that has a removable baseplate, and all the items were attached to the same sized baseplate, and could be put into place, one at a time. When not in use they could be stored in a shelving unit. I know Sears was selling a workbench system that was based on this years ago, but they apparently do not sell it now.

I will continue to search for what you and I are talking about, and see if I can come up with a pic or two.

Fabian

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.

Last edited by thegrgyle; 02-24-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: removed my "notes" at the top....LOL
post #3 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
... the items that are taller probably would be too tall to spin around.
Fabian

True, I was thinking that the drill press and band saw would have to be on a two way (flip) system rather than a three way with the work surface. Thanks!

Ut Prosim
post #4 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I remember it also. I think Kenbo built one and i know they had some in WOOD magazine years ago.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
Richard beat me to it. I think Wood Magazine had plans for some of those. Sounds like workshop Transformers...more than meets the eye! Shop carts in disguise!

Sorry, I have a five year old!

Optimus Dad

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/
post #6 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Check these out
http://www.woodstore.net/flwoce.html
http://www.woodstore.net/is15no20.html

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #7 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah those look like some of the ones I remember. They had another one that had about 4 different designs.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
In my small barn shop, I mounted 3 grinders on a 3' long, about 9" dia. cast iron flanged pipe. Very heavy and stable. I just spin it around to get to the one I need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grinders.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	21344  

The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (11-15-2015)
post #9 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I saw one with a triangle instead of just a flip. Perhaps I'm just flat out wrong. I'd love to spin around for a sander, again for a jointer (5") and yet again for a clean work space or outfeed table.

Ut Prosim
post #10 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Sears used to make this beast, which I'd like to duplicate, without the extensions maybe.

Ut Prosim
post #11 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Most of my tools live on shelves and any other nook or cranny they fit in and only go on the bench when I use them. My SCSM sits on top of my planer which sits on top of my roll around tablesaw I keep in a corner when not in use. It is a bit like a puzzle putting them up, but I would rather put them on shelves than a workbench contraption that may not fit its replacement or a different tool. I could fit 2 more tools in that Sears thing if it were shelves and I just set them on a non rotating top, and I bet it would be much more stable as well.

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #12 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
This is the thread of the one that I built not too long ago. I'm not sure if this will help you or not.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-22-2011), Sleeper (04-12-2012), Taylormade (02-21-2011), thegrgyle (02-22-2011)
post #13 of 22 Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kenbo. I've got plans for that one and I think I may try to make a few of them this weekend.

@Jeffreythree: I've got everything on separate shelves currently and I have one mobile workbench on casters that I put those pieces on when I need to use them. What inevitably happens is I have my band saw and sander on the ground and in the way while I have the router table on the workbench. When I'm done with the router table, it goes off the table and I move the next piece up. I'd much rather have two pieces that I rotate around.

Ut Prosim
post #14 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Taylormade,

so to answer your initial post.... I guess that you could come up with a Triangular revolving table (like the Craftsman table that was posted, minus the removable tops on the sides) and set that inside Kenbo's portable revolving table top. You would most likely have to lower the "axle" that the revolving table top to compensate for the deeper tabletop. Should be pretty easy if you wanted to still use 3 items inside your portable workstation.

Just my .02

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 PM

View haugerm's Photo Album My Photos
If you get "The Complete Small Shop" pdf mentioned in Kenbo's thread, it's got a pretty neat Lazy Susan type revolving tool stand in addition to the flip top one you mentioned. It looks like a heck of a lot of storage in a small footprint. I'd post a picture of it for you, but I can't quite figure out how.
--Matt
post #16 of 22 Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Splinter Picker

View jharris's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle
planer, band saw, benchtop sander, grinder, drill press,

I, too, have seen something to this effect, but I don't remember where. I would think that it would be very useable for the smaller items (benchtop sander, planer, grinder), but the items that are taller probably would be too tall to spin around. They would probably be better used in a workstation that has a removable baseplate, and all the items were attached to the same sized baseplate, and could be put into place, one at a time. When not in use they could be stored in a shelving unit. I know Sears was selling a workbench system that was based on this years ago, but they apparently do not sell it now.

I will continue to search for what you and I are talking about, and see if I can come up with a pic or two.

Fabian
Your timing is great. The new issue of Shopnotes (volume 20, issue 116, page 4) has the system described. No plans but pretty well explained.

It's a great idea.

Ditto on the flip base in Small Shop Solutions. I plan to build one as soon as I buy a bench-top planer.

Jeff
post #17 of 22 Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haugerm View Post
If you get "The Complete Small Shop" pdf mentioned in Kenbo's thread, it's got a pretty neat Lazy Susan type revolving tool stand in addition to the flip top one you mentioned.
--Matt
I actually have that pdf and have seen both the tables you're referring to. I'm going to sit down over the next few days and figure everything out. I essentially have 8 feet to work with, and my TS is half that, so I have 4' left to work with. I may use 2' for a mobile workbench with slots to store things and make a flip top like Kenbo's for the last two feet.

I'll show you the resolution this weekend.

Thanks folks!!

Ut Prosim
post #18 of 22 Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM

View Youngmechanic's Photo Album My Photos
Piggy Back to Taylormade's Craftsman Rotating table. I use to have that rotating work bench and loved it. I wasn't that big really. The only thing I didn't like was the quality of the wood sucked. I kept it on the carport and just the mositure warped the MDF board. My Delta Compound miter saw barley fit on it, everytime I wanted to rotate it, I would have to rotate the miter saw and remove the side extensions. I ended up only mounting 2 tools on it, bench top table saw and the compound miter saw, left one blank for a work table. It had 2 wheels on one end for tilt and roll with no handles. And with my miter saw on it, it was heavy to move. It wasn't even 3' tall. I gave it away, I wish I would have kept it but didn't have room in the moving truck. As for the side extensions that you mentioned leaving off, those really helped stablized the middle portion when in place. The extensions had metal plates mounted on the bottom that tucked up under the middle when you slide it back in. The extensions also had little pins that went in the corrnors to hold them in place. The table was farley cheap to, right around $100 when I purchased it back in around 2001-2002
post #19 of 22 Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngmechanic View Post
Piggy Back to Taylormade's Craftsman Rotating table. I use to have that rotating work bench and loved it. I wasn't that big really. The only thing I didn't like was the quality of the wood sucked. I kept it on the carport and just the mositure warped the MDF board. My Delta Compound miter saw barley fit on it, everytime I wanted to rotate it, I would have to rotate the miter saw and remove the side extensions. I ended up only mounting 2 tools on it, bench top table saw and the compound miter saw, left one blank for a work table. It had 2 wheels on one end for tilt and roll with no handles. And with my miter saw on it, it was heavy to move. It wasn't even 3' tall. I gave it away, I wish I would have kept it but didn't have room in the moving truck. As for the side extensions that you mentioned leaving off, those really helped stablized the middle portion when in place. The extensions had metal plates mounted on the bottom that tucked up under the middle when you slide it back in. The extensions also had little pins that went in the corrnors to hold them in place. The table was farley cheap to, right around $100 when I purchased it back in around 2001-2002
Cool! Welcome to the forums. I ended up clearing out almost everything in my shop (garage) and have dedicated benches for everything now. Here's one thing I did to save some floor space, though.

Ut Prosim
post #20 of 22 Old 11-15-2015, 05:41 PM

View Geronimo Tampa's Photo Album My Photos
Rotating work bench

here is a link
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e3/ec/ae/e3ecae9e68de9856e9810daef325767e.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotating work bench.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	196282  

Last edited by Geronimo Tampa; 11-15-2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: add picture

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode