Looking for close fit cabinet door hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

View kwiinch's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for close fit cabinet door hinges

My daughter wants to replace all her cabinet doors and she wants a European look where almost none of the face frame shows. Her cabinets have 1 5/8 inch rails and stiles so the dividers are 3 1/4. Is there any kind of hinge that would allow the hinged edge of the doors to almost touch? I tried 1 1/2 inch overlay which gives a 1/4 gap and they wouldn't open at all. With 1 1/4 overlays there is a 3/4 inch gap and they do open. I could maybe go as large as 1 3/8 but they would probably rub. I was looking at hinges I used on a toy box and when the door is opened it swings in so the doors could almost touch but those type hinges mount to the side of the cabinet and thus would not work with face frames like she has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Look on-line @ Blum cabinet hardware, or Hafele or Salice. There are face frame mounting plates for the standard Euro hinge. Not ideal but they will work and give you some adjustment. The catalog pages will show how much adjustment each hinge has as well as how far the edges move when operated. We use Blum and Salice hinges. Salice makes the better commercial type hinge. You might want to beef up the face frame with a block behind the hinge mounting plate. You will also find faceframe concealed hinges that only mount with one screw into the edge of the frame, cheap, but not good. You could make a router jig to let the hinge into the stile so you can get any overlay you want.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 08:44 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
The most you are going to get is a full overlay hinge which would overlay the opening 3/4". You would need to modify the faceframes.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM
J L

View J L's Photo Album My Photos
How about making inset doors with tight reveals?
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You might cut the doors down slightly. Change the overlay door to a rabbet edged door. It would be in between an overlay and a fully inset door. This 3/8" inset might give you the hinge room you need.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

She's having all new doors made. Her current doors reveal 2 inches of the face and she wants to hide the face as much as possible so inset doors are the opposite (if I understand them right). Here is a link to a pic of what she likes:

http://atmedia.imgix.net/075b67069a0...=800.0&fit=max

I just noticed in that pic there are no back to back hinged door edges...

Last edited by kwiinch; 03-20-2017 at 10:39 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
That type of cabinet doesn't have a faceframe. The cabinet members are just edgebanded with veneer tape. There isn't anything but 3/4" edges showing toward the front. Maybe you could remove the faceframes and edge the cabinet members with 3/4"x3/4" solid wood.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

I removed a couple of the lower cabinets in order to move her dishwasher to a different spot so I got to see how they are made. Real cheap particle board sides dadoed into the face about 1/4 inch. I'm trying to give her a face lift without a complete remodel. I'm thinking she's going to have to live with at least a 1/2 inch gap between hinged edges. I just thought maybe there was a hinge that does what she wants but the more I understand them the more I don't see how.

Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode