Woodworking Talk banner

Live Oak Wood - Good or No Good

23K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Daren 
#1 ·
A few years back a hurricane knocked down a live oak tree. I was able to salvage a nice log from it. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this type of wood to build anything.

I am also wondering if River Birch can be used for anything? I have a few logs from a birch tree as well.

With two back to back hurricanes hitting Louisiana and Texas the roadside is littered with trees. Here is a question, would you stop and pick up large oak tree trunks stacked on the side of the road? I have seen tree's chopped up into moveable pieces with at times a 36" diameter or larger trunks.

As a woodworker I find myslef wanting to grab all the free wood I can. What would you do?

#2 ·
A few years back a hurricane knocked down a live oak tree. I was able to salvage a nice log from it.

I am also wondering if River Birch can be used for anything? I have a few logs from a birch tree as well.

As a woodworker I find myslef wanting to grab all the free wood I can. What would you do?
Live oak is very hard ("Old Iron sides", the USS Constitution was planked with live oak, enemy cannon balls just bounced off. That is how it got it's nickname)

River birch can be crooked and knotty, but if the logs look good go for it.

What would I do :laughing: grab all the free wood I could ;)

#3 ·
I dont know anything about river birch

but as far as the live oak goes, I would leave it behind. If you have a way to mill it and have a few years or more to air dry it and then kiln dry it, you will have a wood that looks ok but is not particularly attractive. No more so than any other kind of oak, As for turning, I have found it difficult but workable and again, not worth my trouble. To others it might be. Sorry, but you asked.

Tony B

#6 ·
Daren - Next question. Is is worth the time and effort to collect, cut, dry and store 3' pieces of wood salvaged from a storm? I share my workshop with my wife's car, all my tools have wheels on them. I find it sad to see all that wood just sitting there, I wish I had more room / a full blown shop and sawmill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.