Kitchen slide out drawers - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MT Stringer

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

View Rick Bruemmer's Photo Album My Photos
Kitchen slide out drawers

I am just starting to try to get into woodworking after many years of thinking about it. My wife said she wants slide out drawers in the kitchen cabinets. The cabinet she wants them in first is a very wide cabinet, think a sink base size opening in the bottom. It has two doors with a stile in the middle. She wants two slide out drawers on each side of the stile. My problem is there is nothing to mount the slides to. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions. I forgot to say these cabinets are face frame construction and the back I think is 1/4" plywood, so it is not load bearing.

Last edited by Rick Bruemmer; 01-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 11:41 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Is it a face frame cabinet? If so I would use a full extension like a Gliderite, you would have to get the face frame brackets for the rear, and if there is nothing to screw the rear bracket to, glue and screw in some blocks if there is enough clearance
post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have also glued and screwed in boards (1" x 3" or so) between the divider and the back of the cabinet. This gives you a place to mount the hardware. I have also been knows to mount boards so that they are even with the edges of the face frame. This enables you to use slides not designed for face frames.

George

post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 01:50 PM

View joek30296's Photo Album My Photos
If I understand you correctly, she wants drawers in the bottom of the cabinet, right? You might consider under mount drawer slides. Here's a short video on them. Just google under mount drawer slides; many styles to choose from.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...0&action=click

"If I agreed with you, then we'd both be wrong!"
post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
When you say nothing to screw to what does that actually mean? Is the cabinet a stand alone unit with sides or are the outside open to the next cabinet (if there is a next cabinet)?

You could build a modular unit to slide between styles. You would lose a couple inches of space but it would eliminate any mounting issues that you would surely encounter when trying to align drawers and slides to some existing plywood or what is yet to be determined mounting arrangement. Further, if you put a top on it, the top could be a shelf above the drawer box.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
I recently did just that in our kitchen. I planed some pine boards to the thickness needed to account for the face frame and clearing the hinges on the doors. The boards are as deep as the cabinet and just tall enough to mount the top drawer slide on the top edge with the bottom of the board against the bottom of the cabinet. I installed those using construction adhesive and then mounted the drawer slides to that. They hold a ton of weight, slide easily and don't rely on the cheap particle board sides and back of the stock cabinets for strength. It is working great and my wife is thrilled!

The only picture I have on my computer here at work is a single cabinet.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawer Slides.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	271641  

post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2017, 03:36 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
When we remodeled our kitchen, my wife wanted drawers in the lower cabinets. They are really handy for us old foggies!
I used full extension soft close drawer slides from Custom Service Hardware. You can attach them to the cabinet sides or to the rear using a bracket made for the slides. The front of the slide is attached to the frame with a single screw.

Just a note...wide and deep drawers can be unwieldy when installing them and adjusting the drawer slides so everything works properly. Don't ask how I know!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-09-11 17.00.56.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	271649  

Name:	2014-10-13 21.14.46.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	271657  

Name:	MTH_8943.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	271665  

Name:	MTH_8944.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	271673  

Jns likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode