I need Help!!! My wife is not going to be too happy... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
I need Help!!! My wife is not going to be too happy...

If things work out, I might have put the straw on that breaks the camels back. I have always heard of all these "great" deals on Craigslist, but have never capitalized on them, because I think for the most part that since I live in the Chicagoland area, that there are just too many others to compete with.

I am on the way to go check out a unknown named 14" bandsaw, that is being sold for the right price. From what I could tell in the picture, it potentially will have all the things I am looking for in a "new to me" bandsaw, and should be a good addition to my tool collection.

The unfortunate thing is that this purchase might finally make it impossible to fit 2 cars in my garage when it snows. Oh well... If this works out, it just might be worth it. At least her main car will fit.....

If I end up coming home with it, I will post pics and more details.

Wish me luck

Fabian

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM

View 3fingers's Photo Album My Photos
The garage is a shop not for cars. Lol all wife's of woodworkers need to know this lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3fingers For This Useful Post:
kevinb70 (01-23-2012), slicksqueegie (01-25-2012), thegrgyle (12-09-2011)
post #3 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 02:48 PM

View 240sxguy's Photo Album My Photos
It cost me a remote start for my wife's car to get her to let me take over the entire garage. Food for thought! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to 240sxguy For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-09-2011)
post #4 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
If things work out, I might have put the straw on that breaks the camels back. I have always heard of all these "great" deals on Craigslist, but have never capitalized on them, because I think for the most part that since I live in the Chicagoland area, that there are just too many others to compete with.

I am on the way to go check out a unknown named 14" bandsaw, that is being sold for the right price. From what I could tell in the picture, it potentially will have all the things I am looking for in a "new to me" bandsaw, and should be a good addition to my tool collection.

The unfortunate thing is that this purchase might finally make it impossible to fit 2 cars in my garage when it snows. Oh well... If this works out, it just might be worth it. At least her main car will fit.....

If I end up coming home with it, I will post pics and more details.

Wish me luck

Fabian
LOL...hey Fabian we live over in Renaux Manor off of Peck and 64 and we have a tight fitting 2 car garage. The deal I struck with my wife in order to get my new TS was that unless absolutely necessary, I have to break everything down every night during the winter so that she can get her car in the garage. Mine sits outside all the time.....good luck man...

btw...did you see this add? it's fairly close to us....

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bfs/2737908758.html

Last edited by Tom5151; 12-09-2011 at 03:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom5151 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-09-2011)
post #5 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Cars in the garage?!! ....good one!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knotscott For This Useful Post:
schnitz (12-10-2011), thegrgyle (12-09-2011)
post #6 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Well, I came home with a new to me bandsaw. I know now why it was a good price. It is a 14" and has all the features that I was looking for. Here it is:

Name:  DSC06065.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  72.4 KB

First of all, I wanted to have the ability some day to possibly upgrade the saw to be able to resaw larger stock. To do this, I wanted to be able to put a riser block in it, and possibly upgrade the motor if need be. The current motor is only 1/2 hp. It also has a pulley system, so that I can control what speed I will be cutting at. The only downfall is that it DID NOT come with the upper guide. I suspect that is why the guy was selling it for so cheap. I figured that I might be able to find one aftermarket, or if push comes to shove, I could make one. There is a spot where it was, but it must have been taken off, and misplaced. Here are some more pics of it:

I need Help!!!  My wife is not going to be too happy...-dsc06066.jpg

I need Help!!!  My wife is not going to be too happy...-dsc06069.jpg

I need Help!!!  My wife is not going to be too happy...-dsc06071.jpg

All in all, I think I got a pretty decent 14" bandsaw for $65. I know it needs some TLC, but that is what I was looking for, especially since my woodworking tool fund is not that great.

Now to see if I can find that upper guide, and or some way to possibly find out any more information about it. It would be nice if I could find out just how fast the blade goes on which pulley configuration and what not.

Anyhow, this will have to put off to the side for now, because I still have a Christmas gift to work on.

Fabian

Fabian

post #7 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 05:44 PM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the club Fabian! When I retired in '09 and brought my WW machines back home from storage, the deal was the wife's car gets to sleep inside at night or when it's raining or snowing. My car hasn't been in the garage since! Put as much as you can on casters and things will work out. At least until you can persuade her to let you build a dedicated shop out back!
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnK007 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #8 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Not a bad band saw. Beside garages are not for vehicles.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominick For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #9 of 32 Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Not bad for $65. Do you think parts from any of the other Taiwanese 14" saws will work?

The Following User Says Thank You to knotscott For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #10 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

I hear you there, guys! I took mama out to dinner last night and started the "negotiations" with her, but truth be told, I also just don't like cleaning snow off of a car if I don't have to.... at least when it REALLY snows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Not bad for $65. Do you think parts from any of the other Taiwanese 14" saws will work?

I did some research last night on the web, and the general concensus was that the saw that I bought seemed to be the same as the old 14" delta and jet saws, but never heard if anyone was successful at getting parts for the saw. My saw looks very familiar to the first green one you pictured (central machinery perhaps?) but also like the jet above. my table is made of aluminum though.

I was also checking out the saw last night, and looked in a small box that came with it, and found this. It is from Carter, but I may have the number wrong. upon further investigation, I think that one of the original users bought it hoping that it would work for the upper guide, but I think it is too big and massive, i.e. sticks out too far from the riser bar, therefore cause the blade to be to forward to stay on the wheels. I will see if I can post some pics of it later.

Anyhow, Scott.... Do you know where/who I could contact for a replace guide for the above mentioned models?

Fabian

post #11 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced mistake maker

View schnitz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Cars in the garage?!! ....good one!

No kidding. My wife has had her car in the two car garage here exactly 3 nights in the now over 12 years we've lived here. I don't think she even knows we've got a garage anymore....

For the O.P., I'd hoof it to H.F. and check their machines out better, blow some sweetness into a manager's ear, and get a photo copy of the parts list and contact info. I've done that more than once, just don't overdo the sweetness with the Mrs. around!

Turning good wood into designer firewood on a daily basis.....

I never plan my days. "Premeditated" is a word Lawyers love to toss around in courtrooms.
The Following User Says Thank You to schnitz For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #12 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Took over my garage before she ever got a chance to park in it.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following User Says Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #13 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz View Post
No kidding. My wife has had her car in the two car garage here exactly 3 nights in the now over 12 years we've lived here. I don't think she even knows we've got a garage anymore....

For the O.P., I'd hoof it to H.F. and check their machines out better, blow some sweetness into a manager's ear, and get a photo copy of the parts list and contact info. I've done that more than once, just don't overdo the sweetness with the Mrs. around!
THANKS!!! I just went the the Harbor Freight website, looked up the 14" saw, and on its page, it had the owners manual there for the download. I guess I don't have to whisper sweet nothings in someones ear now..

Fabian

Fabian

The Following User Says Thank You to thegrgyle For This Useful Post:
schnitz (12-10-2011)
post #14 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Advanced mistake maker

View schnitz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
THANKS!!! I just went the the Harbor Freight website, looked up the 14" saw, and on its page, it had the owners manual there for the download. I guess I don't have to whisper sweet nothings in someones ear now..

Fabian
You're welcome, but by going to the website, you're missing the fun of seeing what else you really need from there!

p.s., Please don't hold me accountable for the cost of your parts or the actual fitments of it.

Turning good wood into designer firewood on a daily basis.....

I never plan my days. "Premeditated" is a word Lawyers love to toss around in courtrooms.
The Following User Says Thank You to schnitz For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #15 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 05:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
then you found this

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/67595.pdf

Page 30 shows the parts needed... good luck bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #16 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...7999/67595.pdf

Page 30 shows the parts needed... good luck bill

You Betcha! I even save a copy on my computer for future reference.....

Fabian

Fabian

post #17 of 32 Old 12-10-2011, 10:09 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I just got a grizzly 14" and from what I can tell mine, the one sold by ridgid, the one sold by porter cable, the one at harbor freight and the jet are all the same machine and are all made by the same people who made yours. There are differences in HP and dust collection and add-ons like fences and miter gauges. Getting a new upper bearing set should be as easy as calling Grizzly and ordering one. Or you could splurge and get the real fancy bearings...

Should you want to add a riser, grizzly sells the same one as Home Depot. Grizzly's is around $70.00 while Home's is over $150.00.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnie52 For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-10-2011)
post #18 of 32 Old 12-11-2011, 12:25 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
The way to solve this very delicate situation on the garage is to sell her car and buy her a bus pass or if you like her then park your car outside and make room in the garage for hers or build yourself a workshop or put the tools on wheels.I know its lousy advice but you only have so many options,rent a storage unit till spring.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #19 of 32 Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

I hear you guys.... I do have all my tools on wheels, and everything is fit into, and along the perimeter of my garage like a tetris puzzle. This last bandsaw just might force my car outside for the winter. I might end up putting it in my shed, though, since I won't really be using it till I can tune it up, and get the parts for it. After all, I still have my benchtop model that I love, and can get by till I get the big one up and running.

Fabian

Fabian

post #20 of 32 Old 12-11-2011, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Hobbyist wood-butcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
The way to solve this very delicate situation on the garage is to sell her car and buy her a bus pass ....
I kind of like this idea... I can use the money to buy more tools.

Fabian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode