How should I cut this and not royally mess it up. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolman50
  • 1 Post By Brian(J)

post #1 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

View renraw9002's Photo Album My Photos
How should I cut this and not royally mess it up.

I'm working with some panels I made up from some 1x12s I put together side by side, but I need to cut some slots out of the side to slide some 2x2s through and have the 2x2s flush with the edge of the panels. I'm probably terrible at explaining what I'm after... Picture a box joint, but big enough to fit a 2x2 through. Now the cuts that are going from the edge of the board inward are easy enough of course, but it's that last cut that has me scratching my head. Could I use a chisel or would it leave an unclean cut? try to use my jigsaw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 AM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by renraw9002 View Post
I'm working with some panels I made up from some 1x12s I put together side by side, but I need to cut some slots out of the side to slide some 2x2s through and have the 2x2s flush with the edge of the panels. I'm probably terrible at explaining what I'm after... Picture a box joint, but big enough to fit a 2x2 through. Now the cuts that are going from the edge of the board inward are easy enough of course, but it's that last cut that has me scratching my head. Could I use a chisel or would it leave an unclean cut? try to use my jigsaw?
I'm not following at all, any chance you could show a picture?
post #3 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 11:28 AM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Some options are:
Scribe the line with a knife, a box cutter if fine but you want sharp. Then chisel it, from both sides, and finish it with a file.

If you have a router make a square hole in a scrap of masonite or thin plywood and use a router with a bearing. There are a couple tricks that make that easy and I would rough cut it leaving 1/8" all around and then finish all three sides with the router.

No matter what I tried, I would practice on scrap over and over until I got two good ones in a row.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I'm not following at all, any chance you could show a picture?
I think what he is trying to do is use 2"x 2" verticals to support the panels and wants the verticals to sit flush into the edges of the panels. Just guessing.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian(J) View Post
I think what he is trying to do is use 2"x 2" verticals to support the panels and wants the verticals to sit flush into the edges of the panels. Just guessing.
So the 2x2 through the face of the panel but flush? Or do you think he wants to rabbet the edge?

He talks slots, box joints, panels with no indication of vertical or horizontal for the finished product, so I'm clueless.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yes, that's basically it. I'm building I guess you'd call it a coffee table or display table for my parents. I'm making 3 legs out of 2x2s in a frame the crude drawing on the left shows. There will be a shelf sitting on the middle board and then the top of the table will rest on top of all 3 legs. It's that middle shelf that I need to cut the slots out of so the 2x2s will sit flush. Like I said the 2 cuts going from the edge inward are easy enough, but it's that cut the arrow is pointing at that has me scratching my head a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	274562  

post #7 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 AM

another way

I'm feeling kinda dumb right now, I was describing how to make a square inlay, like for a hinge. The way most people will make this is to flip the panel up vertical on a table saw with the blade set at 1.5" deep and cut the two sides, then make a lot of cuts to blow out the the rest. The inner face will have to be filed/sanded as it will be rough. The router and jig you might still want to try if you have a lot of them as it is faster after you've made the jig, and the jig will last a long time if you ever do a similar project.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm feeling kinda dumb right now, I was describing how to make a square inlay, like for a hinge. The way most people will make this is to flip the panel up vertical on a table saw with the blade set at 1.5" deep and cut the two sides, then make a lot of cuts to blow out the the rest. The inner face will have to be filed/sanded as it will be rough. The router and jig you might still want to try if you have a lot of them as it is faster after you've made the jig, and the jig will last a long time if you ever do a similar project.
Idk if that would be wise for me to try it with the table saw since they're about 2' wide and 5' long, but the router jig idea might work and then I'll just have to clean up the corners with a chisel or something.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 01:24 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
You asked about using your jig saw for the cut. I would prefer to use the jig saw rather than chisel it out. Scribe your line and cut almost to the line. Use a rasp or very sharp chisel so cut to your line.
tylerdru90 likes this.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Ideally you would cut a dado or slot in the leg, then cut the shelf to fit in the slot. Makes hiding any issues with the shelf cut easy. Otherwise use a jig saw. To hide the fact that the cut might not be perfect ease the edges of the shelf around that cut, will hide any small gaps you might have.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ideally you would cut a dado or slot in the leg, then cut the shelf to fit in the slot. Makes hiding any issues with the shelf cut easy. Otherwise use a jig saw. To hide the fact that the cut might not be perfect ease the edges of the shelf around that cut, will hide any small gaps you might have.
You, sir, might just be a genius. I wish I had thought of it, but I'm glad you put it out there before I cut the shelf. Thank you.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You, sir, might just be a genius. I wish I had thought of it, but I'm glad you put it out there before I cut the shelf. Thank you.
The hive mind at work- all of us are smarter than any one of us.
Toolman50 likes this.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The hive mind at work- all of us are smarter than any one of us.
I wish I knew someone experienced with woodworking that lived near me that I could learn from, but as I'm new to this state I don't know anyone outside of coworkers and my wife's friends. So I have to learn everything by either trying it or to the interwebs I go. I've only been woodworking regularly for around a year now so it seems like every day I learn something new. Still feel dumb every time I go to make a project I've never built before. Most of my work has been cabinets of some kind or another. Thank you all very much.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I wish I knew someone experienced with woodworking that lived near me that I could learn from, but as I'm new to this state I don't know anyone outside of coworkers and my wife's friends. So I have to learn everything by either trying it or to the interwebs I go. I've only been woodworking regularly for around a year now so it seems like every day I learn something new. Still feel dumb every time I go to make a project I've never built before. Most of my work has been cabinets of some kind or another. Thank you all very much.
You should put your location in your profile, there might be some of the hive near you...
post #15 of 19 Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You should put your location in your profile, there might be some of the hive near you...
guess we'll see now lol.
post #16 of 19 Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I already made the legs up and used the router to make the slots. they came out perfect...ish. Might end up being ever so slightly wider than needed, but they're all exactly where I needed them to be. The legs aren't quite done though, but the slots into the legs idea looks like it will help out tremendously. Thank you shoot. When I'm finally done with this table I'll send pictures, but it's gonna be at least a few weeks.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-03-2017, 01:48 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
ren, that's the beauty of the interwebz..You don't actually have to know anyone locally to learn stuff.
I don't get out much and have only lived here about 3 years. I know people, but from what I can tell so far the few people I actually know don't really know one end of a hammer from the other. I'm sure they could all teach me how to open a beer can with an ear lobe or something, but actual useful stuff? I'm guessing no.
I've learned far more from this site than all the local yokels here combined.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #18 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

I rough cut the slots into the shelf with the jig saw, then made them nice and smoothed out with my router. didn't bother making the corners of the shelf cuts perfectly square since the dado in the legs covered everything up. some are a little looser than I like, but overall I'm quite pleased. Thank you shoot summ for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LINE_P20170217_104821994.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	279202  

Name:	LINE_P20170217_104821986.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	279210  

Name:	20170217_105637.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	279218  

Name:	20170217_095731.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	279226  

Name:	20170217_095705.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	279234  

post #19 of 19 Old 02-17-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

oh the top isn't screwed on or anything yet. I just set it on top to send a picture to my mother so she can see how i'm coming along. It's surprisingly sturdy given nothing is glued or screwed together yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode