Woodworking Talk banner

how to..... make an octagon

48K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  VIFmike 
#1 ·
I need an easy way to make an octagon that is symmetrical. I once had a copy of WOOD magazine that had an excellent way of making one with a compass. Does anyone happen to have this copy and share how to make an octagon? This copy of WOOD magazine is probably somewhere around the Aug. 08 issue. It also has a Walnut gun cabinet plans in the same issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#12 ·
Revisiting this old thread and thought I'd throw in one method for reference.

This is very simple but requires starting with precision.

• Cut 2 perfect squares out of wood the size of your octagon. They have to be exactly square.

• Mark the exact center of one of the boards and clamp them together flush along all of the edges.

• Drive a screw through both boards at the center as a pivot point.

• Turn one of the boards 45 degrees, using a combination square or other angle gauge.

• Clamp the boards or drive another screw through them to keep them in the exact position.
Now you can draw your 45 degree cut lines or rough cut them off proud of the line and use a router with a flush trim bit.

A similar method is found here:

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/media/video.php?vid=4f93f8446

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.