how to fix cracks or splits on wooden post - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
therock_80

View devhnh@yahoo.com's Photo Album My Photos
how to fix cracks or splits on wooden post

On my backyard, i just have 16' x 36' wood patio cover built 3 days ago. Material include: 4 of 4"x6"-8ft posts, 2 of 4"x8"-20ft on top, 21 of 2"x6"-16ft beams and many stuff for roofing.
Yesterday, my mom spray water to clean patio ground. I dont know if water touch posts. Until today, i checked on posts. I see some long splittings from top to bottom of posts. Deep crack is 1/4". The splittings appear on 3 posts. I really dont know what kind of these wood. But i bought them $11 each from Homdepot. Is this normal character of wood? Do i need to fix it? and how do i fix it. I'm homeowner not a builder and know nothing much about wood or construction. Thanks for any advice

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by devhnh@yahoo.com; 07-22-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

They look to be a construction grade...could be fir, spruce , hemlock, or pine. Doesn't look like they will fall apart. You could fill the cracks with mixing up a two part epoxy, and forcing it in with a putty knife. Drag the face smooth. Do the applications in small amounts as the epoxy may not have a long open working time.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
therock_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post

They look to be a construction grade...could be fir, spruce , hemlock, or pine. Doesn't look like they will fall apart. You could fill the cracks with mixing up a two part epoxy, and forcing it in with a putty knife. Drag the face smooth. Do the applications in small amounts as the epoxy may not have a long open working time.

What is "2 part" epoxy mixing ?I heard epoxy might make splitting wider?

Last edited by devhnh@yahoo.com; 07-22-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: more comment
post #4 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You could use a packaged epoxy that gets mixed when dispensed...like this. Or a two bottle kit that you mix yourself as seen here. Epoxy doesn't expand as some polyurethane glues, like Gorilla glue...which I would not use.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
devhnh@yahoo.com (07-22-2011)
post #5 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's the nature of a post to check or crack

The way the post is cut from the center of the log usually results in cracks like you are showing.
Rather than "repairing" the crack, which in my opinion, won't last I would conceal the cracks with white 30 yr exterior caulking from the Home depot. It's somewhat flexible, waterproof and will last quite a long while. The cracks I see are not structural and will not affect the strength of the post. Just fill them up and they'll be fine. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/27062-Butyl-Flex-Gutter-Flashing-Caulk/dp/B000DZBFRE%3FSubscriptionId%3D13J52J68PEMPA77VHSR2%26tag%3Dpctiwo-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000DZBFRE

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-22-2011 at 06:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
devhnh@yahoo.com (07-22-2011)
post #6 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
i would wait a while b4 filling. the drying is probably not done yet. i would fill it with caulking not silicone. thats probably a doug fir beam and its common to split while drying.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Location: Otautahi , Te WahiPounamu ( Christchurch , New Zealand)
View Manuka Jock's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, what they said

PS. Your mum did not cause this when she washed the patio down with the water hose
If wood wants to split or twist or cup or bow it will . Its' in it's nature to do what it wants

Last edited by Manuka Jock; 07-22-2011 at 06:39 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
therock_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuka Jock View Post
Yep, what they said

PS. Your mum did not cause this when she washed the patio down with the water hose
If wood wants to split or twist or cup or bow it will . Its' in it's nature to do what it wants
hahah :) my mum caused it or not but i never blame on her.
I searched on Homdepot i found some called Wood glues. I dont know which should i use ? Caulking tube is too much for this crack. I want small tube enough for this fix.
At first I'm disapppointed because of the wood problem. I feel better when i received comments on this forum. You know that i want safety is the first priority. Anyway I'm still happy for this patio project which cost me total $2600.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
mix up some automotive bondo, fill and prime/paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode