how to eliminate tear out if oak plywood when drilling - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

View gatorfreak2005's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy how to eliminate tear out if oak plywood when drilling

I'm building build ins and using oak plywood and JIG ITŪ Shelving Jig from Rockler to make adjustable shelves but noticed it is really tearing out the layer of oak when using this jig. How do I stop this from happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 PM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
Are you using good quality brad point bits? I use brad point bits and they have drilled clean splinter free holes for the shelf pins. You could also put a thin strip if wood on top of the piece to be drilled as a backer strip to prevent tearout

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #3 of 20 Old 12-28-2009, 05:32 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Gator,
I have the same jig and I have noticed the tearout sometimes. Doesn't seem to do it on most of the holes. I didn't try it but maybe a piece of blue masking tape applied to the wood would help.

Mike Hawkins
post #4 of 20 Old 12-28-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

I tried the blue tape on a scrap piece to see what happen & it didn't seem to help. Would it help if I completely stained and polyed before putting the holes in. Thanks for all the info so far.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 PM

View dogshooter's Photo Album My Photos
Speed up the drill press, and go slow. Good sharp bit is a must.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 AM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
With this jig I have found that sometimes the self centering bit will not fully retract due to being clogged with chips. If this happens the bit contacts the wood before the nose can support the face which can cause tear out (especially if your drill speed is too slow and/or your feed rate is too fast). For extra insurance when drilling in plywoods such as oak/ash etc I will first run the drill in reverse long enough to "score" the veneer (mine has a brad point bit) and then drill as normal . Takes a bit longer and may dull the bit quicker but it leaves clean holes.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 10:45 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I generally use a Forstner bit when drilling plywood. However, you can still get tearout on the bottom/back side. If you back your plywood up with another board it helps reduce the tearout.

Gerry
post #8 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on the Forstners.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Could it possibly be the quality of the plywood itself?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Right on Gerry...I always use a Forestner bit with a backer...and only allow the point to go through on the back side...then flip it over and drill the other side. Most of my pression drilling is done on the drill press. Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #11 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 PM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Based on my understanding of the first post he is using a shelf pin hole drilling jig with a specific drilling apparatus. There is a brad point bit inside a housing with a spring loaded nose piece that centers inside the jig hole to allow drilling of evenly spaced/centered non-through shelf pin holes. In this situation I'm not sure how a forstner bit with a backing board will stop tear out on the face of his workpiece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfreak2005 View Post
I'm building build ins and using oak plywood and JIG ITŪ Shelving Jig from Rockler to make adjustable shelves but noticed it is really tearing out the layer of oak when using this jig. How do I stop this from happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
I generally use a Forstner bit when drilling plywood. However, you can still get tearout on the bottom/back side. If you back your plywood up with another board it helps reduce the tearout.

Gerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
+1 on the Forstners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Right on Gerry...I always use a Forestner bit with a backer...and only allow the point to go through on the back side...then flip it over and drill the other side. Most of my pression drilling is done on the drill press. Rick
post #12 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
Based on my understanding of the first post he is using a shelf pin hole drilling jig with a specific drilling apparatus. ....... In this situation I'm not sure how a forstner bit with a backing board will stop tear out on the face of his workpiece.
Marv, I was reading this thread and wondered when someone was going to bring this up.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM
BIP
IED Junkie

View BIP's Photo Album My Photos
I had the Rockler jig and had the same issue after repeated use. The acrylic/plastic wears allowing the bit to move arround.

I have since upgraded to another jig that has metal grommets in a plastic frame instead of just plastic. It seems to do a much better job and the holes are much cleaner. Part of it is do to a sharp bit, however I think alot of it is due to the metal keep the fibers compressed closer to the bit and doesn't wear.

I can't remember tha manufacturer, but I will peek in my toolbox when I get home and let you know the brand.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Marv, I was reading this thread and wondered when someone was going to bring this up.
OOPS!

Gerry
post #15 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
OOPS!

Gerry
No matter. The forstner is still a good choice
I just use jig made from a piece of peg board. Cheeeep and expendable
post #16 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 03:52 PM

View johnv51's Photo Album My Photos
I use a home made spacing jig with my plunge router, a collar and a 1/4" downcut spiral bit to make shelf pin holes. Never had chip out.

Spilling wine on oak does not make it purpleheart!
post #17 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

thanks for all the insight. I used blue painters tape and an electric drill instead of my cordless drill and let the bit work its self into material and I had hardly any tear outs of holes. Also cleaned bit out on each hole. Very pleased with the turn out.

thanks again
post #18 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
Try a left hand downcut bit from AMANA. Better to use a jig to punch center points with an awl, then drill on press than a drilling jig.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Creator of Sawdust

View Ed'sGarage's Photo Album My Photos
Tear out?

I'm with JohnV. I did exactly the same thing on my last project with adjustables. Home made jig, 1/4 inch in my plunge router. I don't remember any problems with tear out.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-31-2009, 08:59 AM

View Larry Norton's Photo Album My Photos
Smile

I used the Rockler jig for a while, and then did exactly what John V and Ed did. I drilled some 5/8" holes in a piece of ply and used a collar on my router with a 1/4" spiral bit.

If you use this method, I would paint the bottom end black abour 2" up, that way you always know which end to use, and you don't flip it over and get the holes misalligned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode