how can I bend a 1"x8" board - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-18-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

View stiner's Photo Album My Photos
how can I bend a 1"x8" board

Hello, I am a newbe to this forum and have a question concerning the bending of 1" dimentional lumber. I wish to bend 1"x8"x36" soft maple boards over a 24" curve with a 2' radius. The curve would occure on the 8" dimention and the project is 36" long and the radius is at each end. The method I was thinking of using was to back saw the lumber to create the curve. Can anybody give me information about doing this or the reasons I shouldn't. Any info. would be helpful. Thanks for your time.

Jack Stiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiner View Post
Hello, I am a newbe to this forum and have a question concerning the bending of 1" dimentional lumber. I wish to bend 1"x8"x36" soft maple boards over a 24" curve with a 2' radius. The curve would occure on the 8" dimention and the project is 36" long and the radius is at each end. The method I was thinking of using was to back saw the lumber to create the curve. Can anybody give me information about doing this or the reasons I shouldn't. Any info. would be helpful. Thanks for your time.

Jack Stiner
Not quite sure I understand. Will this be an arc?

I found thishttp://stusshed.wordpress.com/2007/0...-the-tablesaw/
Maybe it will help.

Last edited by Gene Howe; 02-18-2011 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Gene, sorry the project is kind of hard to explain. Emagine a box 24" wide 36" long and 8" deep. I want to create an arc across the 24' side that is 2". So the finished dimention will be 6" deep on both sides 8" at the center on the top and bottom and 36" tall. I hope that gives a better picture of what I'm doing.

Thanks, Jack
post #4 of 8 Old 02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiner
Gene, sorry the project is kind of hard to explain. Emagine a box 24" wide 36" long and 8" deep. I want to create an arc across the 24' side that is 2". So the finished dimention will be 6" deep on both sides 8" at the center on the top and bottom and 36" tall. I hope that gives a better picture of what I'm doing.

Thanks, Jack
So only one side is visible? The outside of the arc, right? Does it have to be a 1" solid board? A lamination would be a really easy way to do it... You have a bandsaw capable of resawing the 1x's to 1/4?

If not depending on how solid what your attaching it to you could try kerfing it or steaming it.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes only one side is showing. Unfortunatly the material needs to be 1". There will be three slots cut across the width to mount glass shelving. However you have me thinking maybe I can go your way and use some additional support inside to help with the shelving. I think you idea may make more sense since I would be knerfing with the grain and that seems to be a no no or at least very risky. Thanks for your idea, it's always great to get another persons input. It may save me a lot of time and trouble.

Jack
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM
In History is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiner
Yes only one side is showing. Unfortunatly the material needs to be 1". There will be three slots cut across the width to mount glass shelving. However you have me thinking maybe I can go your way and use some additional support inside to help with the shelving. I think you idea may make more sense since I would be knerfing with the grain and that seems to be a no no or at least very risky. Thanks for your idea, it's always great to get another persons input. It may save me a lot of time and trouble.

Jack
So I take it your going with a lam?

I doing some 1 1/2 x 2 compound curved spalted red oaks lams tomorrow... I'll put some Picts up...
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 AM

View dvalery20's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiner View Post

Jack Stiner
look into "Steam bent drum shells" http://pdgood.us/drumshed/steambent.html that link should help.
I know your not making drums, but 1" material is very difficult to "bend" when you don't do kerf cuts like one of the links below.
Also the jigs and molds aren't very difficult or expensive to make, and with the knowledge on how to do a 360* bend you should be able to apply that to anything that needs a radius. hope this helps!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM
In History is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic

So I take it your going with a lam?

I doing some 1 1/2 x 2 compound curved spalted red oaks lams tomorrow... I'll put some Picts up...
As promised...

I took pictures all along the process... Will throw something of a how-to together tomorrow...

-tom
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode