How can I avoid splinters on table top - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

View WoodWorkinghelp101's Photo Album My Photos
Red face How can I avoid splinters on table top

Howdy,
Long time reader first time poster.
I'm new to woodworking and are making my second coffee table. It's going to be 3 large recycled stringy-bark wharf beams. I have dressed them and sanded them back, I'm happy with how they are looking but are concerned about people getting splinters if the run their hands across the surface.
The plan was to finish it with Tang oil and some Gilly Stephenson's timber polish (bees wax). Is there anything I can do to stop splinters happening, the sanding has stopped most of them but I think there could still be a few.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
On the spot you are showing I would be inclined to mix some bondo the almost black brown it is and fill it. There also clear epoxy fillers you could use. Just mask off the surrounding wood, fill it and sand it smooth. The tung oil should be enough to bring the sheen back.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 PM

View kentucky tom's Photo Album My Photos
I've used clear epoxy and then some colorant to mimic the grain pattern. Mix some colorants with some epoxy on the side to use as accents , blend some additional epoxy tinted to be the base color, pour this mix into the cervix,. Then using the other color mix to accent grain pattern. Tom

post #4 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
Hi WoodWorkinghelp101,

It looks like it is already in the correct orientation, yet I would share (like floors) a piece of wood that will receive human contact of rubbing (traditionally) is only oriented Bark Side Up. This mitigates the severity and/or length of splinters, and is the way wood was usually oreiented in the past typically.

I don't employ modern materials nor care for the plastic look that is gotten from epoxies (for the most part.) The methods thus discribe by other posters do work and very well in my view. For a more traditional fix I would just use a hide glue and fill all voids with a mix of this and saw dust colored to the tone you wish.

I would share a good mix of traditional Pine Rosine, Beeswax, Flax, and Tung Oil should lock down the splitters more than well enough. 3 coats would do just as good as most epoxy applications for this and is a simple finish to redo and/or reverse. Stripping epoxies and other plastic finishes is a nightmare...assuming it can be done at all...

Regards,

j

Last edited by Jay C. White Cloud; 03-20-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Tags
splinters, woodwoking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode