Honeylocust wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

View PSDkevin's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb Honeylocust wood

Hi all. I'm new to the forum but seems like my kind of group.
I have a friend who has 1500 bf of honey locust nicely milled. (Mostly 1"x5"x12' boards. He was going to make flooring with it) he now wants to get rid of it for real cheap (at least I think it's a good deal) $500 for the whole lot. I was hoping some more experienced folks could tell me if it's a good deal. Never worked with honeylocust before but seems like a pretty good wood. Has anyone out there worked with this wood before? I have a space under the stairs in my basement and I was thinking about T&Ging some of this wood and paneling this space with it. Then making some wine racks with the rest and turning this space into a wine cellar of sorts. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
It would make GREAT flooring. I have told myself if I ever build another house I will use HL for flooring. I have seen it sell as ready to install flooring for $19 ft2.

Flooring aside it is a good woodworking wood period. If you want I can drag up some pictures of chairs/benches I have made with it.

Pretty fancy paneling, if you decide to do that with it, but it would work for that too.

And just FYI $500 for 1500 bft is a no-brainer. I get $3-$3.50 a bft for it here at my mill, rough sawn.

EDIT: I forgot to say welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Daren; 12-18-2010 at 10:25 AM.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Darren. Thanks I'm gonna pull the trigger on the purchase. Yeah I realize it will be a little on the fancy side but at that price much cheaper than the white oak I have seen other wine cellars made of. I agree it would be a stunning floor. too bad a different wood floor is already installed down there.
post #4 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

By the way I'd love to see the pics. I'm pretty sure I will have a bunch left over perhaps you'll inspire a few other HL projects
post #5 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 AM

These are wider boards than you will have to work with, but still a couple pictures of HL furniture.(and a little walnut) Simple stuff I made with a special dovetail jig.

Last edited by Daren; 12-18-2010 at 10:51 AM.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that is some beautiful wood and some fantastic craftsmanship, is HL as hard as Black Locust?

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
post #7 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
is HL as hard as Black Locust?
No, but still plenty hard. On the Janka hardness scale HL is 1580, other examples: cherry-950, red oak-1290, hard maple-1450...black locust is 1700.

post #8 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I have to chime in on this one as HL is one of my favorite species as well. I *do* have about 2000 ft² of it some of which was supposed to go into the kitchen but I just couldn't get it processed in time. I milled, stickered & stacked it several years ago and KD some of it this year so I need to dry the rest. It's going to be flooring in our next add-on.

Is $500 a good deal? No, it's legal theft. Even if it hasn't been KD which it certainly needs to be for flooring, it's still a good deal. You could build your own DH kiln just for that single purpose and still come out ahead.

Welcome to the forum please keep us updated. We love pictures. Hint hint.

post #9 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment TT. I will be getting the wood after Xmas. I will post some pics after that and surely when the wine cellar is done. HL is very abundant (in tree form) here. Most farmers here HATE it. Thinking about getting a portable SM and offering my services to help them "rid" themselves of this menace. Lol
post #10 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDkevin View Post
Thinking about getting a portable SM and offering my services to help them "rid" themselves of this menace. Lol
That's what we are talkin' about

post #11 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDkevin View Post
Thinking about getting a portable SM and offering my services to help them "rid" themselves of this menace. Lol

We Kevin's seem to think alike.

post #12 of 25 Old 12-18-2010, 09:58 PM

View tator234's Photo Album My Photos
Unhappy Honeylocust

Is honeylocust the one with thorns about a footlong?
post #13 of 25 Old 12-19-2010, 01:36 AM

View Rick C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Yeah the good thing is, they come out as easily as they go in
post #14 of 25 Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

There is a thornless variety but the ones I always see are the vicious spike-of-death man slayers that you're talking about
post #15 of 25 Old 12-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator234 View Post
Is honeylocust the one with thorns about a footlong?
Yep, Honeylocust thorns are longer than Black Locust. HL and BL are not related - different genus(?). Different spelling too you will notice 1 word vs 2 words. HL trees that do not have thorns were from seeds that fell from above the thorn line of the mother tree. Those trees will not ever grow thorns.

It's rare to see thorns above about ~ 15' in the thorned variety in fact I have never personally seen them above that that I can recall. Even the thorned variety HL tend to shed their thorns as they start getting up in age, so if you happen upon a very old HL that doesn't have thorns don't assume it will produce the unarmed variety if you want to get some seeds for your yard. The best way to be assured of growing a thorn-less one is to take a clipping from a thorned one well above the thorn line.

I don't know about BL and their thorns as we don't have hardly any BL here. I wish we did though. It's one of the few species we don't have that I wish we did. That and hard Maple. Well, that and waterfall Bubinga, and Amboyna, and . . . . . . .

post #16 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
If anybody is in the neighborhood and needs HL I would gladly donate a few. I want to get some of them sawed but have more than I want.

I have an album with a few more pictures of them.
David
post #17 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Forgotten but not gone

David,

Do you have any thorns on your trees about roughly 15'?

post #18 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Yep, Honeylocust thorns are longer than Black Locust.
I didn't know black locust had thorns. Thought that was the way to tell them apart (without cutting into them). None of the 8 - 10 BL trees I had sawn up into lumber and firewood had any thorns at all. Any ideas why not?
post #19 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Old ones can still have their thorns, and I noticed they sort of thin out and disappear higher up the tree. I heard that Texas honeylocust can have a pinker tone to the wood. One day I will find out when I get around to harvesting some that I have. One of my favorite trees on my place:
Attached Images

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #20 of 25 Old 12-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
TT
I try not to get too close until I am cutting them (seems to be detrimental to the truck and tractor tires.) but I have seen some long ones in the clusters on older trees. I will try to check some of them Friday morning when I am off work. Do you need a full 15' or just close?

First grandson is due in the next 2-4 weeks and they discovered an issue with his aorta that may have to be dealt with. If I'm not at Louisville at the hospital will check the length for you.

If I am I will check it in the next few days. I do know that there are a few of the trees that seem to have much more pronounced clusters of thorns than others. Younger trees seem to grow in groups of from 3-7 trees right together. Guess that is why nobody mowed them down when they were smaller. Haha I have a few that are probably 30-40 years old. Sthey still have plenty of thorns on them.
David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode