Home made wood Lathe from Scrap - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
View bongodrummer's Photo Album My Photos
Home made wood Lathe from Scrap

Hi Guys,
Wondered what you thought of this? http://www.floweringelbow.co.uk/proj...oples-rubbish/ - it is a step by step process of making your own lathe from recycled materials. Has anyone done anything similar. What are some of the drawbacks / advantages?
Any tips / comments would be very welcome.

Last edited by bongodrummer; 08-03-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM
No Longer Here
View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that's a good article. Wish I had seen it about 6 months ago, though I suspect what I paid for my lathe isn't much more than I would have spent building one. Good experience to build one, though, and if you use recycled parts, that much "friendlier" to the environment. I can always dig that.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I personally have not built one but I knew several people that have. Back in the mid 1980's, building a lathe was quite common for the 'large bowl' turners. As a matter fact, every home made lathe I knew of was strictly a bowl turning lathe with no bed. There was a craft college around Bellingham, Washington that developed a variable speed control system for them. I think it was based on DC motors, I cant remember for sure, it was a long time ago. Anyway, every home made lathe I knew of was excellent.

Consider the fact that a lathe is probably one of the oldest and simplest machines known to man. Basically, a modern lathe is nothing more than 2 pillow block bearings, a shaft and a motor. If you were to make the lathe of high quality components you will probably have a very good lathe. Make it with junk parts and you will have a junky lathe.
Many lathes I knew of used automotive/truck drive shaft steel, which I think was monel and mounted on steel rails on a solid concrete poured base. These were made for very large bowls, like in the 18 to 24" diameter category. The tool rests were usually made in a tripod configuration with a swing arm attaching it to the lathe.

Thats about all I remember off hand.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Forgotten but not gone
View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think Daren has built one, but he likes foot-powered lathes and has made posts regarding them with videos and pictures. One of the guys he started a thread about is British also I believe, and I also believe he became a member of our forum. I'll tip Daren off to this thread and see if he can give you some input. Welcome to the neighborhood.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2010, 09:33 AM
View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Robin Wood is the member from the UK who does a lot of foot powered lathe stuff. He has posted some videos here, after I found one and posted it. His site (and youtube channel) are worth a look.

I looked through that link on building your own electric lathe, I have seen similar and later when I find time I (or anyone) may link them. Here is one I had handy. I think one could be built to do the job, like Tony said many guys build them out of necessity for larger turnings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode