Help! Mold infestation in wood tool shed after flood. Best ways to remove? *PICS* - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
View MikeDonnigan's Photo Album My Photos
Help! Mold infestation in wood tool shed after flood. Best ways to remove? *PICS*

About 6 months ago we had a flood in our area. The bottom of my 12x12 wood shed was submerged in 6 inches of water for a week. Afterwards I dried it out the best I could with fans and such but for various reasons I was not able to do anything else for 6 months or so. Checking on the current state of the shed there is white mold EVERYWHERE! Walls, ceiling, floor, shelves. Even weird fungus things growing.

In your experience, can this be fixed without replacing the wood? I was told that the best solution is to mix 1 part bleach and 10 parts water and use a garden sprayer to spray the mixture everywhere and then scrub it down. The wood is still discolored from where the water is. Also the walls and ceiling have 2 layers of plywood with framing in between there where the insulation is, the shed is setup this way to work with AC. (broken unfortunately). Who knows what things look like inside the walls. Should I take down the wall boards and clean inside there too or is this overkill? You can see in one of my pictures I have a leak coming in from my roof in a corner that shows damaged wood and mold. I will likely have to replace the roof and I am thinking the floor as well.

Anyway, any tips on how to best remove the mold would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin






MikeDonnigan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
fire65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 240
View fire65's Photo Album My Photos
That is a lot of mold to deal with, but you might be able to kill it. Use the bleach solution 1:10 bleach to water, wet it down and let it dry. Put a good filter in a shop vac and vac it up. Some of it will probably grow back since it will be in the wood cracks. Wear a good respirator and rubber gloves, good luck.
Let us know how it turns out.
fire65 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 576
View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
Wood mould spores are everywhere all the time. The mould only grows and flowers(puts put spores) if the humidity/moisture content is above 20% or more. One you get it dry it will stay dormant as long as it stays dry. Mild mould especially mostly surface mold for a short period will not affect the strength of boards.
Clean up the old mould flowering , get it dry and possibly seal it in with some shellac or varnish after its dry. The discoloured areas are likely permanent unless painted.
Cleaning while wearing respiratory protection is wise due to allergic issues. It's nowhere as unsafe as many believe. They go into the forest on a bed of moody leave and don't worry so why a bit in a building causes stress.?
Midlandbob is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Midlandbob For This Useful Post:
mike1950 (04-30-2013)
post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW Pa
Posts: 1,856
View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
unfortunately mold is only one of your problems. flood waters carry unsanitary things like ecoli and others bacteria's. it should have been washed down immediately. your sandwhich walls may still be harboring some bad stuff.

search on killing black mold, you'll find mixture combinations of tide, tsp, bleach and water. all good. i guess i would try killing what i can reach, let dry. ventilate well. check with local authorities on post-flood conerns such as yours.

my parents lived in a flood zone for 30 yrs. btdt.
TimPa is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Near Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,227
View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I've had good luck with a 50/50 bleach and water mix, but I'm paranoid about building mold.

I wouldn't be willing to just treat what I can see there: if you've got mold in places where it's visible, you've got it in places where it's not. If it were me, I'd open up the walls, ceiling, and floor to treat inside as well... you can almost be positive it's there, and it can do you a lot of damage if you spend much time around it.
amckenzie4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last shed pics tcleve4911 Off Topic 4 11-25-2011 11:37 AM
How to remove mold stain on wooden table Jeanguy12 Introductions 4 06-13-2011 10:07 AM
Garden Shed ( progress pics ) cranbrook2 Project Showcase 27 07-30-2010 12:00 PM
More flood pics from TN. Mizer Off Topic 18 05-04-2010 06:55 PM
What's the best way to remove mold from peeled logs? gfisher Forestry & Milling 1 05-29-2009 08:34 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome