Hanging problem - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

8Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Hanging problem

So I made this nice towel rack, but now I can't figure out how I'm going to hang the darn thing on the wall without adding some kind of unsightly metal brackets. I had planned to use molly screws through a few holes in the top, rear rail and I probably still can, but I can't fit the drill between the top two rails and if I go from the back I really don't have a way to countersink them.. Any suggestions that won't stick out like a sore thumb?

By the way there will be thin slats atop those two rails for a shelf..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
Plunge router and a key hole bit.
woodnthings likes this.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #3 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
Plunge router and a key hole bit.
I used one for another rack I made for my daughter awhile back. I did think about it as well, but now it's assembled and glued up and nailed.. Part of me just didn't plan very well ahead with this.. I suppose I could get it in the vise and chop it out with a chisel.. Oy...
Maybe rip out the drywall from the other side of the wall and..... nahhh.. lol

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 04-18-2017 at 02:25 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 02:25 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
Which side is going to face the wall? You should be able to just lay it on the face opposite the one that will hang on the wall, and use the plunge router to put keyholes, I wouldn't think you'd "need" a vice.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #5 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 03:39 PM

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
I once did a relatively open shelf by making a form of French Cleat for the top rail. Actually, I'd probably call it an American Cleat as it doesn't involve any bevel cuts. What I did was use my biscuit joiner to put slots in the underside of the top rail of the shelf. I made a matching board with aligned slots in the top of it and screwed it to the wall with countersunk molly bolts. I used plug buttons to cover the screws. Biscuits are loose fitted into the wall part of the mount and the shelf hangs on the wall board with the biscuits keeping things from sliding around. I used #20 biscuits and the thing has been hanging in my Granddaughter's bedroom for about 10 years now with no problems.

Or.... you could use this situation as justification for buying a right angle drill to get in between the top rails.

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me. "Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 04-18-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added blather
post #6 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 03:53 PM

View Brian(J)'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
So I made this nice towel rack, but now I can't figure out how I'm going to hang the darn thing on the wall without adding some kind of unsightly metal brackets. I had planned to use molly screws through a few holes in the top, rear rail and I probably still can, but I can't fit the drill between the top two rails and if I go from the back I really don't have a way to countersink them.. Any suggestions that won't stick out like a sore thumb?

By the way there will be thin slats atop those two rails for a shelf..
Here's one idea, no better than the others. Drill the mounting holes from the back, then make 1" x 1"x 1/4" decorative square "washers" out of something darker and think of it as an interesting design element. I sometimes do that when I want to use a flathead bolt but want more than just the round bolt head in wood. Here's one in blackened bronze set flush to walnut, but I'm thinking yours would look fine sitting proud of the rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washer.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	290594  

woodchux likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 03:58 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Use a 90 angle attachment for your drill. 90 degree drill angle attachment

I do not know the spacing between the rails nor your drill size. However, I have a 12 volt Craftsman Nextec drill that I think would work without the attachment.

I would want the towel rack solidly mounted to the wall and not just hanging there.

George
post #8 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

You know..The molly screws might still work. The Mrs wants it mounted low on the wall. (don't ask why, but she does) The slats that will makeup the shelf will cover the screw heads.. Neither of us sits THAT low on the commode to see them..I might see them if I decide to take a nap on the bathroom floor, but I don't drink enough anymore for that scenario.. As much as I hate the idea I might end up having to add a few L brackets on the bottom.
As for the plunge router..don't have one although I probably will at some point in my life.. I have a router, but it's more of a shelf decoration than anything..

Impressive, huh?
post #9 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 04:36 PM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

I do not know the spacing between the rails nor your drill size. However, I have a 12 volt Craftsman Nextec drill that I think would work without the attachment.

I would want the towel rack solidly mounted to the wall and not just hanging there.

George
This.

I have a corded, cordless, and 90 degree adapter. They don't see much use, but when you need them, they are worth owning...
post #10 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 05:36 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
post #11 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 05:37 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I don't use it a lot but a lot more then I thought I would, very handy in tight spots
post #12 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 06:28 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
You are going to use the heavy duty fasteners like these, right?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...-Bolts/3183831
They come in different load capacity and quantity. They work great and will hold your rack in place.

I would drill a hole just a little larger than the bolt, then stick the bolt through and "mark" the wall. Drill the 1/2 inch hole in the drywall and mount the anchor.

If your rack spans a stud or two, mark and drill pilot holes also for lag screws (or wood screws of your choice). Using the wall anchor, mount your rack and level using the wall anchor. Then drive the lag screw(s) into the stud(s).

It worked for me when I installed floating shelves.

Good luck.
Post some pics when you get it mounted.
Mike
woodchux likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
woodchux (04-19-2017)
post #13 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
You are going to use the heavy duty fasteners like these, right?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-10-...-Bolts/3183831
They come in different load capacity and quantity. They work great and will hold your rack in place.

I would drill a hole just a little larger than the bolt, then stick the bolt through and "mark" the wall. Drill the 1/2 inch hole in the drywall and mount the anchor.

If your rack spans a stud or two, mark and drill pilot holes also for lag screws (or wood screws of your choice). Using the wall anchor, mount your rack and level using the wall anchor. Then drive the lag screw(s) into the stud(s).

It worked for me when I installed floating shelves.

Good luck.
Post some pics when you get it mounted.
Mike
Toggle, yes indeed. I always called them Molly screws and that's probably a completely different setup.. The original plan was to be wide enough to hit both studs in the wall at both ends and I indeed had it measured just for that, but somewhere along the way I made a different mark too short and got to anxious to trim the pieces and well, you can guess what happened..I know..measure twice, cut once and that turned out to be the problem. It should be measure twice CORRECTLY and THEN cut once..not measure incorrectly twice....
I'm blaming the whole mess on baseball season. My Reds have actually been winning this season so far..

Impressive, huh?
post #14 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George
I decided that someday I'll be finished buying tools I'll only use once every few years or so..
In the meanwhile I want this thing sticking to the wall on a regular basis and not falling off every two weeks..The Mrs suggested those crappy foam sticky things.. That ain't happening..

Impressive, huh?
post #15 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

I just looked up molly screws and they're those collapsable junkie things.. Toggle is what I was talking about, not molly's ..

Impressive, huh?
The Following User Says Thank You to allpurpose For This Useful Post:
WesTex (04-18-2017)
post #16 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
In the old days we used a screw driver to drive screws, a "stubby" if space was tight, just sayin'.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #17 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
In the old days we used a screw driver to drive screws, a "stubby" if space was tight, just sayin'.
What? No app for that on Google Playstore?
Give it time. Somehow I can even imagine a day when someone comes up with virtual woodworking and saws, sandpaper and all these things are just virtual tools nobody actually uses for pleasure.. That's the day I write a virtual shotgun app to blow my virtual brains out. Lol
Rodrat likes this.

Impressive, huh?
post #18 of 22 Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 PM

View Rodrat's Photo Album My Photos
What about a French cleat?

Measure 6 times, cut 3. Plane it down wrong and go buy a second board.
post #19 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Have recently hung a large (3 foot X 5 foot) wide framed bathroom mirror using a 2 piece metal French cleat mounted to the wall studding. So far it is holding up very well. Be safe.
post #20 of 22 Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

And here tis.. 2 toggle screws/bolts and 2 wood screws at the bottom attached with small L brackets.. Somehow I actually managed to find the studs for the L brackets. I drilled for toggles for them on one side and soon realized there was solid wood behind the bit of drywall..
Anyway, horrible lighting in the bathroom.. It's on nice and solid.. It ain't going anywhere short of a tornado or fire..
Amazing how bad lighting shows every single flaw.. It looks much better in person..lol
Now she wants a towel warmer like Jackie O had in her mansion.. Yeah..that's gonna happen right away..
MT Stringer, woodchux and Catpower like this.

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 04-19-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode