Great Stuff - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By Kerrys

post #1 of 17 Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Great Stuff

I'm not sure how great it is anymore. I took the casing off one of my exterior door and made some adjustments on the jamb. After I got done I filled the gap with Great Stuff expansion foam and it all went well. After it dried what expanded out of the gap I shaved it off with a knife and threw it in my wood stove I had going nearby. I had to shut the door real fast. It was as though I threw a glass of gasoline in the stove. I never knew just how flammable the stuff was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 12:20 AM

View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I'm not sure how great it is anymore. I took the casing off one of my exterior door and made some adjustments on the jamb. After I got done I filled the gap with Great Stuff expansion foam and it all went well. After it dried what expanded out of the gap I shaved it off with a knife and threw it in my wood stove I had going nearby. I had to shut the door real fast. It was as though I threw a glass of gasoline in the stove. I never knew just how flammable the stuff was.
Wow! I've heard that it is extremely flammable when not fully cured...

I guess that kinda proves it!

(wait... Am I missing... an eyebrow?)

Follow me on Instagram @amanteafinewoodworks
post #3 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Amantea View Post
Wow! I've heard that it is extremely flammable when not fully cured...

I guess that kinda proves it!

(wait... Am I missing... an eyebrow?)

Speaking of eyebrows, I once threw a shovel full of saw dust in a wood stove and it seem to put the fire out. I opened the door to check on it and it more or less exploded. The fire hit me in the face burning my eyebrows. Later I had to recreate what had happened because I was in disbelief and the fire blew out about 10' from the stove. You do some dumb things when you are 16. It's a wonder I didn't set fire to the garage.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Speaking of eyebrows, I once threw a shovel full of saw dust in a wood stove and it seem to put the fire out. I opened the door to check on it and it more or less exploded. The fire hit me in the face burning my eyebrows. Later I had to recreate what had happened because I was in disbelief and the fire blew out about 10' from the stove. You do some dumb things when you are 16. It's a wonder I didn't set fire to the garage.
Omg I am rolling on this one... The fact that it got you, then you had to show people how it got you, and got it again! That's just too funny... Wish you had that on video... It would go viral in a flash! (pun intended)

post #5 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Amantea View Post
Omg I am rolling on this one... The fact that it got you, then you had to show people how it got you, and got it again! That's just too funny... Wish you had that on video... It would go viral in a flash! (pun intended)

No, it didn't get me the second time. I was alone and stood back to see what had occurred on the recreation. Sorry, no video in 1971 either.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
No, it didn't get me the second time. I was alone and stood back to see what had occurred on the recreation. Sorry, no video in 1971 either.
Well, at least there's that!

post #7 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 03:44 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
...You know Steve, if I ever meet you in person, I'm staying very far back if there's an open flame involved

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
...You know Steve, if I ever meet you in person, I'm staying very far back if there's an open flame involved
Not to worry, "You're fired" is someone else's line.
Al_Amantea likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 07:11 PM

View GEMcooter#2's Photo Album My Photos
In high school another guy an I took a trash can of saw dust out of the shop and dumped it into the incinerator. We didn't think there was enough of fire to hurt anything. It was just a little flame but it caused enough of an explosion to blow the trash can into the air. The incinerator was high enough that the explosion was above us. Needless to say it scared us to death.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 07:47 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
You do some dumb things when you are 16.
Why just 16?
Quote:
Needless to say it scared us to death.
Did it have a laxative effect?

Marriage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond. Later, you wish you had a club and a spade.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
in addition to burning quite well, it releases hydrogen cyanide.
if that sounds familiar, think capital punishment and gas chambers. . .

more fun with saw dust
or coffee creamer

also works with sugar/flour - right mix of fuel&oxygen and kaboom
post #12 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 08:36 PM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
We use flour at work with det cord to make fireball shots for det simulators.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 08:57 PM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
We were out at the land one day screwing around, shooting, adding stuff to the burn pile, and playing with sparklers. Just your normal everyday sparklers wrapped into a bundle. When you have some time google "sparkler bomb". Now of course we didn't manufacture the packages of sparklers, someone else there did. Regardless we had a nasty old recliner that my Dad insisted we donate to Goodwill. We donated it to the burn pile instead, along with an old tub of protein powder youngest Son wanted to dispose of. The gallon of protein powder combined with the sparkler package produced an impressive, and very unexpected fireball. We were under a burn ban that year, fortunately the fire dissipates very quickly...
post #14 of 17 Old 01-08-2017, 09:30 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
Back in my younger days working for a small cabinet shop (40+ years ago) we had an overnight dust explosion. Our painter had swept the paint roomfloor and forgot to dispose of a 5 gallon bucket containing the over spray dust he had put in it. Sometime during the night the bucket self combusted filling the paint room with thick smoke that exploded flatting all four walls of the room and lifting the ceiling off it. This shook the shop blowing years of wood dust that had accumulated on the rafters and walls airborne. The airborne dust then exploded blowing three large sliding doors off the building and blowing out about a dozen windows. The dust explosion also blow out any fire left over from the paint room fire and explosion.

After a day of clean up, rebuilding the sliding doors, replacing the windows and cleaning up what was left of the paint room we were back in production. Almost all the equipment was fine only needing a bit of cleanup and after removing the scorched top layer of the materials in the shop what was underneath was untouched and completely usable.

It was amazing.
Al_Amantea likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-09-2017, 06:43 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I've had both good and bad results from Great Stuff.
It's great to seal a hole around an electrical outlet or stop air flow.
But it can produce much more pressure than I thought possible around a door opening. Enough pressure to move Sheetrock and molding enough to cause problems with the closing of a door.
Also, if you've never worked with Great Stuff before, a little bit can go a long way. More is not always better. If you get it on your clothes, they're trashed. If you get it on yourself, it's next to impossible to get off. Very messy stuff.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #16 of 17 Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 PM

View Nathan Parker's Photo Album My Photos
It's definitely sticky stuff - it's basically Gorilla Glue with a higher coefficient of expansion. Acetone and a stiff brush will take it off your skin, eventually. I've had to sand it off my nails. Never caught it on fire, though!
post #17 of 17 Old 01-10-2017, 04:29 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
You get the same effect with the fine dust in feed mills. It is the same as a volatile gas. One spark and BOOM!
BTW, that foam is great for golf clubs. My new driver, several years ago, just didn't have the ooomph I expected. I recalled a magazine that said some brands of woods were filled with foam. Drilled a hole in the back of the driver and woods...filled with foam...epoxied the hole and the result was a great feel. However, my game still was lousy, sort of like Dorf.

Marriage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond. Later, you wish you had a club and a spade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode