floating duck house - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 05-18-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
floating duck house

I'm gonna build a floating duck house/ nest box for my father in law, I was thinking about building the house on a 4 inch pvc pipe capped off platform, then anchor it to a single rope to the bottom of the pond.

I guess my questions are, is one rope in the center down ok, or should I make two, one on each side to stop it from turning.

the 4 inch pvc capped off should be plenty of flotation, would one 4 ft section on each side be ok, or should I make it more like a raft with several pipes?

just in the thinking stage right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM

View buggyman1's Photo Album My Photos
Never thought of pvc as a float, i bet it will work. I'm thinking it'll take a bunch of them to float very much weight. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
I would go with only one anchor line, that way the raft can pivot with the wind much like a boat would. If you anchor it with two and you get a lot of cross wind/waves it could get messy.

I would think that one section of PVC on each side would be sufficient but it all depends on how heavy you build the house...

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #4 of 15 Old 05-20-2012, 10:06 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
do ducks like floating houses?

G
post #5 of 15 Old 05-20-2012, 08:15 PM
The New Guy

View Itchytoe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat View Post
I'm gonna build a floating duck house/ nest box for my father in law, I was thinking about building the house on a 4 inch pvc pipe capped off platform, then anchor it to a single rope to the bottom of the pond.

I guess my questions are, is one rope in the center down ok, or should I make two, one on each side to stop it from turning.

the 4 inch pvc capped off should be plenty of flotation, would one 4 ft section on each side be ok, or should I make it more like a raft with several pipes?

Assuming there isn't much water movement, I'd go with a single rope to tie it down. One tube on each side should be ok, depending on how much weight you're planning on floating. Try some experimentation to see what works. I'd use the bathtub to test it out.

And like George asked, do ducks like floating houses?
post #6 of 15 Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat View Post

Interesting idea. As near as I can figure, one 4 ft section of PVC will displace about 65 lbs of water. Figure the diameter of the pipe is about 4.5 inches, pi x radius squared times length gives about 740 cubic inches. If I remember correctly 1 gallon is about .66 cubic feet or 95 cubic inches. Also, from memory, water is about 8 lbs per gallon. Somebody better check my assumptions before hanging their hat on this though. The ol memory ain't what it used to be

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #7 of 15 Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Just a suggestion, you might try and put some type of rutter(I'm sure its not called a rutter) on the back of it so that when the wind blows the opening will always be away from the wind.

As for floatation, how about pool noodles!! They are about a buck each and you can cut them to whatever length you want. I know for a fact that one of them will float 280 pounds!! I have a boat project that I am working on that required me to remove some factory installed flotation foam. I am replacing it with sections of pool noodles to retain the bouyancy. It will all be under the deck hidden. I'm sure it could be hidden on a duck house as well.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #8 of 15 Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 AM
more bacon?

View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Will a floating nesting box provide enough protection from predators? Here in southern Louisiana the snakes will eat the eggs before they can hatch unless you keep them out with a predator Sheild. Wood duck boxes are usual put a top a pole with a conical metal guard a foot or so up the pole.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
dat

I made it heavier than I should have, it floats ok, but I did add some flotation foam under the deck. the tubes floated it right at the wood line, the added foam lifted it out of the water. I'll have a few changes for it, but it floats solid and doesn't rock or tip.

as far as preditors/ snakes/ and such, I figure they'll probably still get the eggs and maby the ducks, but it's what my father in law wanted.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 PM

View Murphy's Law's Photo Album My Photos
dat - unless you're charging him for your work it sure is nice of you to make it for him. If that's what he wants, it's all that is important. Good for you.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
dat

no charge, he had been talking about buying one for a while so I built one. I'll try to find somebody with a computer friendly camera to get some pictures. it's kinda like an old barn style with a loft
post #12 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
dat

it is kinda like this but a barn style like the bottom picture

post #13 of 15 Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 AM
Roob McNube

View rok3269's Photo Album My Photos
the only thing I see that may or mat not pose a problem is that the anchor rope is long enough to allow for differences in water height so as not to drown the residents during a storm or unusually high tidal flow.
Other than that it is very kool post pics when done please.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 03:17 PM

View luella.alcorn's Photo Album My Photos
Wondering if you made the barn style? My son is working on an Eagle Project. A local retirement horse farm is wanting a duck house built for their pond and would like it barn style with a cupola if possible. I would love to see plans if you have them? Get info from you. Luella.alcorn@yahoo.com
Thank you!
02-02-2016
post #15 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Spinner of Wood

View TwelveFoot's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Interesting idea. As near as I can figure, one 4 ft section of PVC will displace about 65 lbs of water. Figure the diameter of the pipe is about 4.5 inches, pi x radius squared times length gives about 740 cubic inches. If I remember correctly 1 gallon is about .66 cubic feet or 95 cubic inches. Also, from memory, water is about 8 lbs per gallon. Somebody better check my assumptions before hanging their hat on this though. The ol memory ain't what it used to be
Google says one gallon is 0.133 ft, which is 231 in. You were correct, 1 gallon is 8.3 pounds. So 3.25 gallons per pvc, 27 pounds per pvc. So, how much do these ducks weigh? You may have to keep them on a strict diet.

I confuse myself daily, keeps life interesting and exciting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode