farmhouse table wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

View jdecapua23's Photo Album My Photos
farmhouse table wood

I am new to this community so hello and thank you in advance for your advice. I will be building my wife a farmhouse table and am considering which type of wood to use. Should I just go to home depot and buy what they have to get a specific type at a lumber yard? This table will be used and is not just for show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 02:23 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Usually a farmhouse table is made out of pine. The box store wood is a grade of lumber known as SPF meaning spruce, white pine and balsam fir. These woods can be used for the table however if you have young children the table may soon show a lot of dents. Another choice would be yellow pine. This pine is a lot harder however very heavy. In any case any of these woods were made for construction framing and really not intended for furniture because of the moisture content. What you have to do is be very selective on the boards you buy. Only buy wood that is straight and flat and free of places oozing sap. If using the SPF wood it would also take on a better appearance if you dig through the wood and get the same species. Spruce looks very white with tiny knots. Pine is more yellow with larger knots. Fir kind of has a reddish tint to it.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

If I were to go to a lumber yard, what other woods would be good for this?
post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 03:31 PM

It's hard to say what would be available at your lumber yard. If they had maple that would work well.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

thank you, I am new to wood working and do not understand finding boards of the same species which is why I am hesitant to go to a box store
post #6 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecapua23 View Post
thank you, I am new to wood working and do not understand finding boards of the same species which is why I am hesitant to go to a box store
The SPF is just three different species of wood mixed together. You don't necessarily have to pick one species out, I was just making a suggestion. I just like having the same wood when I build something like that. Sometimes the wood stains a little different.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Sawdust Maker

View TTOKC's Photo Album My Photos
Unless you have a jointer and planer getting wood at the lumber yard may not be a feasible option as it may be rough cut.

If you can get surfaced materials at the lumber yard it may be better quality than Lowes or HD but there may be a price difference as the local lumber yard may not have the buying power to get the prices comparable to big box stores.

As mentioned before the wood at Lowes/HD is going to move a lot as it dries. If you do go that route I would avoid 2x4s and go with 2x10s or 2x12s and cut them down. 2x4s sell fast and are usually the newest wood. Wider boards stay on the shelf longer and have had more time to dry.

Cost may drive what type of wood you choose. Lowes/HD 2x10s cost about $1.60 per board foot. In OKC poplar is $3/BF, oak is $3.5/BF, maple is $6/bf and walnut is $9/bf. So you can calculate... a 2x10 at the box store is 9.25 board feet.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

TT
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 09:20 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I suggest you start by finding a lumber store near you that sells hardwood lumber. These stores will also carry a higher grade of Pine and Fir woods and they will be dry for making your project.
The SPF lumber you buy from a lumber yard is good enough for a picnic table but I would not want to build furniture with it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode