Are Enlon table saw's any good? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 37 Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

View spleify's Photo Album My Photos
Are Enlon table saw's any good?

I have the opportunity to buy this table saw and want to know if it is any good.

Here is what the listing says.

10" Enlon Table Saw, 2HP 110/220V, 36" fence

Thanks for anya nd all advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablesaw 1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	7176  

Name:	Tablesaw 2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	7177  

Name:	Tablesaw 3.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	7178  

Name:	Tablesaw 4.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	7179  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have never heard of Enlon. Of course that means nothing as I had never heard of many of the brands mentioned in this forum before I started reading the threads. (Most of my life Sears has been the only store available where I could purchase tools.)

Can you get your hands on this saw? Any chance of doing a test cut on it? It looks in good condition. I like the size and the fact that it has a mobile base. To me the most important part of a table saw is the fence. Does it stay straight when you lock it?

Good luck.

George
post #3 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
I concur with George,
I never heard of this saw either. But it looks like a pretty solid piece. Sounds like a good idea also to see if you can try it out. Make a cut or two, move the fence around, lock it down, and check with a tape and see how parallel it stays. It all boils down to the price on an unknown. You might want to google the name and see what comes up as far as parts availability.
Mike Hawkins
post #4 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Well, I've never heard of it either, though I am not very well versed in a lot of the stuff available out there. Thats why i thought I would ask the pros here.

He is asking $400 for it, so... I did try and google it, and that turned up with very little results.

He also mentioned that the laminate fence would need to be replaced, as it is worn out. So I am not sure what that means.

It does look like a solid piece, and that is why I was considering it, he said he purchased it in 1996. I have a cheap delta now and just am not very happy with it.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

I would still like to know if anyone else has heard of this thing. Should I offer the guy a lower amount? Like $250??? I don't want to seem like a tight wad, but I also don't want to pay for a cheap, unknown piece of equiptment.

Thanks all

Spleify
post #5 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
I did a lot of web looking, and,

It is Chinese made and the company does not have
a web site. Service is taken over by Star Manufacturing.

Jet, Star and Enlon seem to use the same accessories.

And it looks a lot like the big saw at HF!

post #6 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 12:24 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I too have never heard of "Enlon", but from the pictures it appears to be a very solid and well made unit. I think at $400 that is a pretty good deal. The saw has a very wide rip capacity, long guide rails, and two solid looking cast iron extensions. I see it also has a mobile base. With two HP you have adequate power for most hobbyist operations. The router table inclusion is a definite bonus if you have space considerations. Is the router included? Are there accessories included, such as extra blades, dado set, miter gage? All these little extras can add considerable value to the overall package.

As some of the others have suggested, if you can, try the saw out to see if it is working well.

Do not be afraid to ask the owner if he is negotiable. Only people who are not really interested in selling their equipment will hold absolutely firm.

Gerry
post #7 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much everyone.

There are no accessories included, nor is the router. The router table is included, but no tool. By looking at the pics, I would "assume" the extra blade inserts are included, but thats it.

I assume he would be willing to negotiate, as he has emailed ME a number of times in the last week and a half to see if I was still interested. But I don't know that for sure.

Thanks all
post #8 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleify View Post
Thanks very much everyone.

There are no accessories included, nor is the router. The router table is included, but no tool. By looking at the pics, I would "assume" the extra blade inserts are included, but thats it.

I assume he would be willing to negotiate, as he has emailed ME a number of times in the last week and a half to see if I was still interested. But I don't know that for sure.

Thanks all
HE has emailed YOU asking if you are still interested?.....hmmmmmm......sounds like he is antsy to get rid of it......Give him a price YOU would be willing to pay and see what he does......The worst that can happen is he says NO ....and then you start negotiating if in fact you really want it.......

Last edited by Tom5151; 02-12-2009 at 05:23 PM.
post #9 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 05:17 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I have to say that I, as well, have never heard of this brand so I can not say one way or the other what the saw would be like. I can say, however, that $400 seems a little steep for a saw that need parts replaced. There are a lot of saws out there on the market that are reasonably priced. I would personally look around a little more and leave this one as a "not so good idea". But that is just my opinion.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #10 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
What about delivery?

I sounds like he needs to sell!

Make your offer!

post #11 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM

View steve mackay's Photo Album My Photos
$ 400 for a used no-name ? AND he is antsy ? Buyer BEWARE !
post #12 of 37 Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mackay View Post
$ 400 for a used no-name ? And he is antsy ? Buyer beware !
yup.....
post #13 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 AM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like one of several Taiwanese made contractor saws, and probably comes from the same factory as several older brand name models. Looks like a nice fence, cast iron wings, and should be compatible with several other standard contractor saws, however $400 is really steep IMO. You can get a brand new Ridgid 3660 for $400 right now.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 AM

View joesdad's Photo Album My Photos
Go look around at what $500 hundred dollars will get you brand new, with a warranty and all the bolts it's supposed to have. If you really want it, tell him you'll take it off his hand for $200. If he says no way, say ok $150.

A buddy of mine buys used cars to flip using this approach and it's amazing how well it works.

Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them.
-Albert Einstein :http://armandj.com
post #15 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Wishing he had a title...

View Kudzu's Photo Album My Photos
Enlon was advertised a lot in the 80's I think. Maybe early 90's. Import stuff, probably one of the companies that is still manufacturing for everyone else.

I agree, for that sort of money if your diligent you can find a an old Unisaw that needs some work. I wouldn't give it is second thought, it just a contractors saw.
post #16 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 08:55 AM

View kentuckytwostep's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesdad View Post
Go look around at what $500 hundred dollars will get you brand new, with a warranty and all the bolts it's supposed to have. If you really want it, tell him you'll take it off his hand for $200. If he says no way, say ok $150.

A buddy of mine buys used cars to flip using this approach and it's amazing how well it works.
Yeah, what he said.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM

In my humble opinion, nothing of much value really happens anyway until someone says NO.......lol.....

but ya gotta make the first offer to get the NO....if you really have to have THIS saw that is.....

I just picked up a brand new Ridgid 3660 for 399. Brand new in the box, all the parts, all the warranties, all the service.........I would at least consider going new unless you just have to have THIS saw. If that's the case follow the great advice you have received here so far and see what happens....

oh and let us know how it turns out.....
post #18 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone. I knew I was asking in the right place.

I have been wanting the Rigid for a long time, my buddy has one and I've always been jelious of him for it. But it was just out of my price range. I think I will go with Rigid when I upgrade. The only reason I was looking at this Enlon, was it looked like it had a bigger work surface and a router section.

Thanks so much!! I will post up once I figure out what I am doing.

Spleify
post #19 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleify View Post
Thanks so much everyone. I knew I was asking in the right place.

I have been wanting the Rigid for a long time, my buddy has one and I've always been jelious of him for it. But it was just out of my price range. I think I will go with Rigid when I upgrade. The only reason I was looking at this Enlon, was it looked like it had a bigger work surface and a router section.

Thanks so much!! I will post up once I figure out what I am doing.

Spleify

Unless I misunderstood you he is asking 400 for a used saw with a couple missing parts.....you can get a brand new Ridgid saw right now for the exact same price......no need to wait to upgrade....you can do it now.....
post #20 of 37 Old 02-13-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I have looked everywhere and can't find the rigids for the $400. Any ideas folks?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode