Dusty Deputy vs Cyclone lid - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

View nelcatjar's Photo Album My Photos
Dusty Deputy vs Cyclone lid

Is one of these better than the other? (except price) The Dust Deputy is on sale.
http://www.dustdeputy.com/

Cyclone Lid (On the left) - or - Dusty Deputy (the right one)?

Name:  CycloneLid.jpg
Views: 11712
Size:  6.5 KB Name:  dd-ex_1.jpg
Views: 11392
Size:  50.8 KB

Q: How many carpenters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: That's the electrician's job !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Contents of Dust Deputy Kit

....adding to my post.... here is the contents of the $99 Dusty Deputy kit. Is this worth it?

http://www.dustdeputy.com/

post #3 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 01:01 PM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Are those 5 gal buckets? With the lid, would you have to buy a trash can or do you have one? The heavy duty ones can get spendy on top of whatever you need to get to seal the lid airtight and the price of the lid itself. I wonder if the end prices are not comparable.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

I wonder about the dust collection ablity of one verses the other. The Dust Deputy takes up more space. I found this thread where someone compares the Dust Deputy to other similar products. I just wonder if there is a comparison of a Cyclone lid to a product similar to a DD.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1148904

post #5 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 03:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The Cyclone lid is also on sale

At Woodcraft online: WWW.woodcraft.com bill

also available at www.ptreeusa.com a cylone lid

Two Stage Dust Separator Lid

This dust collector separator increases the efficiency and capacity of standard dust collection systems. Designed to fit securely on top of a standard 30-gallon metal trash can, this molded ABS fitting is engineered to use cyclonic action to drop out larger particles from the dust flow. The fitting features molded inlets and outlets which can be easily connected to standard systems using 4” flexible hose . You will be amazed at how well it works!! The Dust Collection separator comes in two sizes: 30 gallon can size and 5 gallon size.c
$29.99

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-01-2009 at 03:51 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 03:40 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
Seams to me the deputy is for a shop vac setup, not bad but I could fill the bucket in about 5 minutes on a planer. The cyclone lid if my memory serves me correct is for a 30 gal trash can, obviously a bit more capacity there. I have heard good things on the lid, with exception of it being one more thing to move with the DC setup.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nate has it right!

The Deputy is for a shop vac and frankly I don't see why it's necessary unless the fine dust settles out and doesn't get to the filter. The Cyclones are more suited to larger machines where "chips" are generated rather the "dust" . I rigged up my Jet 1 1/2 Hp collectors to eliminate the plastic bags and the 3 leg stands. They now sit on 30 gal fibre drums. And I can put the cyclones in the vac line and it makes emptying a lot easier when running a planer continuously. Just switch them out with a spare drum and keep on planin' I also put a tape with the date I last cleaned the filter on the Dust Dog.
Yeah, I know it's time to clean it 4-08-09! bill

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0637.jpg
Views:	2508
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	9662  

Attached Images

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-01-2009 at 04:13 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM

View mtgrizzly52's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the Cyclone lid from woodcraft and it works slick with my Delta 1 micron 1 hp dust collection system. No more digging large shavings from the lathe out of the hose and the impeller on the dust collection system.

mtgrizzly52
post #9 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

There are 2 sizes of cyclone lids, one for a 30 gal trash can with 4" hose ports, and one for 5 gal buckets with 2.5" hose ports

post #10 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 06:05 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
This one has been on ebay for quite sometime. http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclone-Separato...3A1%7C294%3A50 It looks good but a lot more $ than the WC variety.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willing View Post
This one has been on ebay for quite sometime. http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclone-Separato...3A1%7C294%3A50 It looks good but a lot more $ than the WC variety.

That's the one I have for my 1200. It works perfectly and after some sealing of the duct work joints I have not scene dust in the bag in about a year. I love it. It does have three flaws, the first of coarse is cost, its not bad but definitely more then the other above mentioned methods. Another is I had to build a tower for the unit. If you look at the pic in that listing the can looks a bit tough to remove, it is. The tower was easy to build using 2X4s and MDF but it is an extra step. Now I simply lift the lid dump the can and push the lid back down. That leads me to my last downfall, it is made for a non mobile system. There is no moving it around without a lot of work. It is however a great product if anybody is considering one and does exactly as advertised, it has taken care of my DC headaches.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 AM

What size did you buy? The 4" or 6"?
post #13 of 17 Old 07-02-2009, 07:36 AM

The 6", here is a photo of the setup.

post #14 of 17 Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I have not seen the dust deputy before, but it looks like it should work. I have both sizes of cyclone lids, and they are quite effective at removing the bulk of the material, greatly reducing the number of times I have to empty the dc or shopvac.

Gerry
post #15 of 17 Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Great stand

Nate that looks great! Looks like you use regular stove pipe from your DC. How tall is the complete unit to the top of the inlet? Did you have any trouble getting a 7" flex tube that goes into the trash can? Did you have to seal the trash can lid with foam tape? I noticed that you reduced the flex hose inlet to 4". Did you have any trouble getting the reducer? I have a "Y" reducer on my Delta DC that goes from 6" to 4" and that would work out just great. I can see a lot of possibilities for my shop. I noticed that you said you have not had to get dust out of your filter bags for some time. Did you take them off to see if you have a build up of fine dust? I take mine off and blow them off with a leaf blower from time to time (out side in the woods). I get a fine layer of dust build up because my filter bag is rated at 1 micron. The reason I have these questions is to plan on the space needed for my shop and form fit and function.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Metal piping is from a big box store. The 6" flex hose is also from a big box store, its a 6" dryer vent ducting. There is no seal at the trash can lid and the vacuum is so great that when the can is empty the can lifts into the air till there is enough weight in it to keep it down. The whole set up is roughly ~7' high to the top of the duct work. My install looks bad cause it was hot the day I did it and the duct tape was flying, if I had been a bit more patient it would look better. The fact of the matter is it worked as it sat so I have never scene the need to improve the look. The only time I ever get debris in the plastic bad is when the can gets full then it goes to the bag. I also had a vacuum break in the trash can connection with the 6" flex hose, that started sending debris to the bag. As far as the filter bag goes, I got rid of it during the install. Using a bit of ingenuity involving a plastic planting pot I ran a 6" exhaust through the roof. I like this setup as there is no filter to ever clog, there is no maintenance other then emptying the trash can. Here is a pic of that end. Everything I bought for the project came from a Home Depot, nothing real special about any of it. I think there is $30 in duct work and accessories and $20 in a new trash can. It does require a person with a bit of, how do I say, "Duct Tape Skills" to do but I have been very happy with the setup. Seams no matter how much you throw at it, it just keeps on sucking.

post #17 of 17 Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 PM

View autoBrad's Photo Album My Photos
Like other said, the dust deputy is for a shop vac.. and yes it basically makes the shop vac a small cyclone, still a shop vac but it keeps stuff from gettign to your dust collector's filter.. Now, they have a new super dust deputy that is designed for a real dust collector.

http://store.oneida-air.com/thesuperdustdeputy.aspx

It's fairly expensive, but I would imagine it is more effective than the lid separator style, since it is an actual cyclone and spins the air in that fashion.. I know it's way more expensive than a lid, but in my mind it would have to be more effective. Obviously this is similar to the ebay one, but I would think maybe a little better, since it's made by oneida.

Last edited by autoBrad; 07-02-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode