Do you like working with hand tools? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

12Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 05-16-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

View Jig_saw's Photo Album My Photos
Do you like working with hand tools?

How many of you like working with hand tools (as I do)?

I think one learns to 'respect' wood more when working with hand tools, given the energy it takes to work every inch of it. In contrast, one can run through yards of boards on power tools without thinking too much. I would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03169.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	238658  

trentwilson43056 and Rodrat like this.

Keep thy axe sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 05-16-2016, 10:44 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Philosophically, I believe in the adage "mechanize if possible." Sometimes that machine is a hand tool, more often than not it is a power tool.
post #3 of 45 Old 05-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Raindrop Counter

View Jammersix's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know about respect, but I use the tool that will get me the results I want with the least effort. Sometimes that's handtools, sometimes it's power tools.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.

post #4 of 45 Old 05-16-2016, 11:14 PM

View sharbin's Photo Album My Photos
When I was a kid, I actually enjoyed splitting firewood with an axe, maul and wedges. For some reason I found that satisfying and was always eager to do that chore. It was especially gratifying when you could split a log with just a single chop.

In a similar way, I find planing a board satisfying. The sound, the feel and the smooth results make me happy.

However, I am not yet very good at planing. More often than not, the edge has a tilt to it. Then I try to correct it by planing towards the high edge. Then I end up with a hill in the middle. I guess I just need more practice.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharbin For This Useful Post:
Jig_saw (05-17-2016)
post #5 of 45 Old 05-16-2016, 11:29 PM
Raindrop Counter

Let me know whenever you're in town.

We have a fireplace, I can make you a happy man.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelley, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to recognize that an LZ was too hot, moments before before being killed by a single shot, July 1, 1964.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jammersix For This Useful Post:
Jig_saw (05-17-2016)
post #6 of 45 Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 PM

View DarronS's Photo Album My Photos
I'm new to woodworking, but it only took me a few classes to realize I do not enjoy working with power tools. too much noise, too much dust, and the suckers are flat out dangerous. Yeah, yeah, I know. Respect the tools and all that. Still, I don't like donning protective gear just to cut a board, and I already have tinnitus so don't need power tools damaging my hearing further. I also studied environmental science in college and know about the health hazards of breathing all that dust. Philosophically, I enjoy taking my time and using human-powered tools to work wood.

Having said that, my wife and I plan to build our retirement home in a few years. We'll build a shop first so our son and I can do most of the finish out work (cabinets, flooring, etc.). Having no desire to do that much work by hand I'll get some power tools to speed some of the processes. Don't even want to think about cutting flooring by hand. My son likes working with power tools, but he's going to have to wait because our present shop is a 12x13 room in our house. I doubt the dogs would appreciate me firing up a powered planer inside. They howl at the vacuum cleaner.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarronS For This Useful Post:
Jig_saw (05-17-2016)
post #7 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Great replies! Thanks.

The reason I asked this question is because for me woodworking is a hobby (like mountaineering), and the best fun is the process of cutting, shaving, and chiselling wood by hand. I don't know many mountaineers who instead of climbing by self would like to be dropped to the top of the mountain by a chopper! It is the journey that counts, not the end result. :)
trentwilson43056 likes this.
post #8 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 AM
Raindrop Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig_saw View Post
I don't know many mountaineers who instead of climbing by self would like to be dropped to the top of the mountain by a chopper!
{Jammer waves his hand.}

Me!

post #9 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 12:28 AM
Interested Observer

Well, I wouldn't hike to the store to pick up groceries because the food would taste better.
post #10 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

I hope woodworking is more fun than just picking up groceries from the store. Those who are woodworking for business may treat it that way, but certainly not me.

Keep thy axe sharp.
post #11 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 09:03 AM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Woodworking is my profession. So to get the production volume and price points I use machines.
post #12 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig_saw View Post
Great replies! Thanks.

The reason I asked this question is because for me woodworking is a hobby (like mountaineering), and the best fun is the process of cutting, shaving, and chiselling wood by hand. I don't know many mountaineers who instead of climbing by self would like to be dropped to the top of the mountain by a chopper! It is the journey that counts, not the end result. :)
Well, if the days goal is rappelling down the mountain, a bunch of "chopper" rides to the top would be fine and dandy!
post #13 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnisawGuy View Post
Woodworking is my profession. So to get the production volume and price points I use machines.
This was me when I was in business, I didn't have time to learn how to use the hand tools or the time to use them. Now I do and love it.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #14 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 11:54 AM

View new2woodwrk's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know how to work with most hand tools - wish I did.

They said I could be anything... So I became Sarcastic!
They also said making drawers is easy... I think they lied :(
post #15 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 03:09 PM

View DarronS's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnisawGuy View Post
That makes sense. I have nothing against other people using machines, they're just not for me. If I were making a bunch of the same things to sell I'd set up a show with machines too.
post #16 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I find that using hand tools enable me to better control the rate at which I make mistakes.

That said, I find that I'm lousy with them. Maybe it's my poor sharpening skills, but if I need to make a hinge mortise, I'll have much better success making a jig and using a router then I would using a chisel. I have some really good planes and even when I think I've got everything sharp and properly adjusted, I'll get frustrated as I see the thing chatter across a board. When that happens, I'm most likely to head off to the power planer or jointer to fill my need.

So, in summary, I want to use hand tools, but apparently lack the talent.
post #17 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 PM
Interested Observer

As someone who has hand scraped a turbine steam chest over several weeks, you won't find me glamorizing hand tools
post #18 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 08:45 PM

View Quo Fan's Photo Album My Photos
Before I dismantled my shop for the move, I used hand tools more because it was easier to use hand tools than to get out and set up any of my power tools. When I have my new shop set up, I may still use hand tools because I like using them.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
post #19 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 09:00 PM

View trentwilson43056's Photo Album My Photos
I love my hand tools and soon hope to do a small project start to finish with hand tools only.While I enjoy using my power tools and right now use them for the heavy lifting I take every opportunity to use my hand tools to hone my skills.Although I have various bench planes I lack a scrub plane and recently scored a couple of old Craftsman bench planes that I plan to recondition and convert.
post #20 of 45 Old 05-17-2016, 09:34 PM
Raindrop Counter

A scrub plane! I should have thought of that!

All you hand tool users, go build a seven foot dining room table with a scrub plane!

That will determine where you want to live on this issue more than anything on the internet!
trentwilson43056 and DarronS like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode