Do I need to start looking for a new jigsaw? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

View David D's Photo Album My Photos
Question Do I need to start looking for a new jigsaw?

I have an old Craftsman jigsaw that I've had for years. Nice cast aluminum body, scroll knob, variable speed, etc. Have a bunch of blades for it, but happened to be looking at blades in Lowe's the other day and there were none that would fit my saw. All were U shank or T shank. It's a good saw, but it's the old type that has a single screw that holds the blade to the shaft, so the blades must have a hole and a U shape cutout on the end that fits around the roll pin above the screw. Are these types of blades going away?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 AM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
sounds like a good enough reason to go tool shopping...
post #3 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 AM

View mattk8715's Photo Album My Photos
For sure time to get a new one ! I like the Porter Cable. I've had mine for about 8 years and just love it. Hopefull they didn't make any changes to it because the one I have is an amazing tool!

beer me
post #4 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
The bosch is pretty much the industry standard that all others are based off of. I have used them for most of my 20 year career as a carpenter and I still prefer the bosch.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 AM

View Woodcrafter's Photo Album My Photos
While I must agree whole-heatidly with "jlhaslip", I sure hope that they don't discontinue the "u shaped" blades.......I've got two VERY old saws that I dearly love, and don't want to give them up because of blades. I just bought a couple of packets of Milwalkee blades last month, and I don't remember there being any shortage of both types of shank. Keep diggin around and let us know what you find out, because I want to stock up, if the u-shaped blade is being discontinued. Thanks

"Good judgment comes from Experience.....Unfortunately, most Experience is a result of bad judgment". Will Rogers

post #6 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Once you use a Bosch Barrel grip...you`ll never go back...there are advantages to the Craftsman...I think that the rotating blade lock is very handy when cutting out a counter top for a sink...I believe you can get closer to the back splash with the Craftsman jig saw. Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #7 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 11:08 AM

View jaros bros.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian the woodnut View Post
The bosch is pretty much the industry standard that all others are based off of. I have used them for most of my 20 year career as a carpenter and I still prefer the bosch.
I third the Bosch. It's the Ferrari of jigsaws. You'll enjoy using it and the precision is unmatched.

Josh Jaros Remodeler in The Woodlands, Texas www.jarosbros.com
post #8 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
I have an older craftman jig saw. I believe it was purchased in the early to mid 1970's. I currently use Bosch blade. The blade is held in place by a single screw. Don't get me wrong , if I see a good buy on a new one I am going to buy it.
Tom
post #9 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
I have to agree that it sounds like a good excuse to go tool shopping.

Did you say tool sale?
post #10 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 05:47 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
I've got one from my grandfather, probably from the late 40's, or 30's. I am down to my last few blades, and I wondered if they were still making them. I think I'll have to get out my grinder. Just hate to give it up. (The bosch is nice though, the school shop had a couple of them.)
post #11 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

The U shaped blades look like mine except they don't have the hole for the screw. It'd be a shame if they stopped making them as the saw is pretty decent. If (when) I do have to buy another jig saw, it will be a Bosch.

David
post #12 of 21 Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM

View Burt's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
Once you use a Bosch Barrel grip...you`ll never go back...there are advantages to the Craftsman...I think that the rotating blade lock is very handy when cutting out a counter top for a sink...I believe you can get closer to the back splash with the Craftsman jig saw. Rick
Yep, I got the Bosch barrel grip too. Kind of a strange grip at first but now struggle with the handle grips. One smooth operator too.
Love this thing and use it much more than my 20 year old Craftman that I had previously.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 AM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
Blades
check these out . They might fit

http://www.amazon.com/Mibro-827831-Bi-Metal-Jigsaw-10-Pieces/dp/B001C08B80/ref=sr_1_70?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264225129&sr=1-70

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #14 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D View Post
I have an old Craftsman jigsaw that I've had for years. Nice cast aluminum body, scroll knob, variable speed, etc. Have a bunch of blades for it, but happened to be looking at blades in Lowe's the other day and there were none that would fit my saw. All were U shank or T shank. It's a good saw, but it's the old type that has a single screw that holds the blade to the shaft, so the blades must have a hole and a U shape cutout on the end that fits around the roll pin above the screw. Are these types of blades going away?
From your description I have the same (or nearly so) jigsaw.

I have no problem obtaining blades. The Craftsman tool department has a very good selection.

Just look for the blades in the correct place and you will find them.

George
post #15 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregL View Post

Those are the right blades. I was in our local Ace Hardware yesterday and they don't carry that type anymore either .

George, I'll check Sears next time I go by there. My saw was probably made in the 70's. It's also got a light, which is nice. My late grandfather gave it to me back in the 90's. I was fortunate that my grandfather nurtured my interest in electrical/mechanical things from the time I was very young. He gave me my first set of real tools (1/4" drill, screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, soldering iron, etc.) for Christmas when I was 8 years old. I still have every one of those tools, and I'm 47 now!

David
post #16 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
The Monkey's Uncle

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Another vote for the Bosch barrel grip. I bought it based on the recs here and it was a great purchase.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 10:58 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
David,
It sounds like our saw are about the same age. I am using Bosch blades that have a u shape in it where it goes into the blade holder. I have a single screw that holds the blade in place. The screw does not have to go through the blade; it simply puts pressure on one side to hold the blade.
Tom
post #18 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
David,
It sounds like our saw are about the same age. I am using Bosch blades that have a u shape in it where it goes into the blade holder. I have a single screw that holds the blade in place. The screw does not have to go through the blade; it simply puts pressure on one side to hold the blade.
Tom
Not sure if that would work with mine. Have a look...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of 0123001222.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	13070  

Attached Images

David
post #19 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 PM

View wb0ldj's Photo Album My Photos
RE: Do I need to start looking for a new jigsaw?

I found this forum while searching for info regarding blades for my old Skil Model 514 jig saw. I got this saw from my late father-in-law, who owned a lumber yard back in the 50's and 60's. The 514 is a sweet old saw, none smoother, absolutely NO vibration, 3000/4000 SPM with what would now be called a barrel grip. VERY easy to guide and use!

However, the blades have to be the "U" style with the additional hole. The plunger has a tapped 6-32 hole, and there's a socket-head screw which goes through the blades and fastens them to the plunger. I can't find blades anywhere locally for this saw anymore, so I guess I'm going to have to go saw shopping.

I'm thinking about the Bosch JS572EB barrel-grip saw. Anyone used this model? Any suggestions? There's also a JS470EB which looks like the 572, but it's $100+ cheaper, so there must be some reason for the difference in price. The cheaper saw is a pound heavier? Go figure!

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Mike Harmon
mharmon at att dot net
post #20 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb0ldj View Post
I found this forum while searching for info regarding blades for my old Skil Model 514 jig saw. I got this saw from my late father-in-law, who owned a lumber yard back in the 50's and 60's. The 514 is a sweet old saw, none smoother, absolutely NO vibration, 3000/4000 SPM with what would now be called a barrel grip. VERY easy to guide and use!

However, the blades have to be the "U" style with the additional hole. The plunger has a tapped 6-32 hole, and there's a socket-head screw which goes through the blades and fastens them to the plunger. I can't find blades anywhere locally for this saw anymore, so I guess I'm going to have to go saw shopping.

I'm thinking about the Bosch JS572EB barrel-grip saw. Anyone used this model? Any suggestions? There's also a JS470EB which looks like the 572, but it's $100+ cheaper, so there must be some reason for the difference in price. The cheaper saw is a pound heavier? Go figure!

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Mike Harmon
mharmon at att dot net

Bottom of the list....

http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/Prod...onJigsawBlades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode