Diamond stones - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Diamond stones

This is an issue that drives me nuts.. I use diamond stones mostly for sharpening chisels, plane irons, etc., but something I've noticed is I can purchase a 6" x 2" stone for about $6 give or take a few bucks, but move up to an 8" stone and the price goes up almost exponentially to somewhere around $60-80. Has anyone figured out how that can be? Is the extra 2" THAT much more expensive to produce?
Anyway, I found what appears to be a decent deal, http://www.ebay.com/itm/131925265510
They're thin pieces NOT attached to solid blocks, but some epoxy could solve the problem I would think.
Awhile ago I purchased a 6x2 stone, 120 one side and 400 on the other side, but the diamond plate portion came off the inside block so I slapped it back together with epoxy and have had zero problems with it since.
What I'm planning is to purchase the thin diamond deals from an ebay seller and slap them to perhaps bits of tile from one of the box stores and see how it works out.
The dimensions of the new diamond plates are 170mm x 75mm, not quite 8 inches, but still larger than 6x2.
For about $7-15 this appears to be a pretty decent deal, but time will tell.
Has anyone else tried to do this?
I've searched and searched for diamond stones bigger than 6x2 for lower prices, but just about anything larger than 6x2 jumps way up in price.
I have about $50 invested in 6 different grits from 120 up to 3000.. I'll keep you posted on how it works out..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 02-08-2017 at 03:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to allpurpose For This Useful Post:
mturnmm (02-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Another reason the thin pieces of the diamond plating appeals to me is the ones I have currently in the shop have worn down to almost nothing and barely cut into the steel at all so if these work out the way I'm hoping it'll be far less expensive to replace than buying ready-made stones glued down to the same type material.. As mentioned above I'm leaning towards tile material, but if something as flat and durable comes to mind I'm definitely open to suggestions. I thought of wood blocks, but I use a lot of water to wash the swarf among other reasons and I can imagine wood not lasting long or bowing or cupping where I don't want..I'm sure there's something really simple and inexpensive I'm just not considering at this very moment.. Suggestions? Perhaps some type of flat pvc material?

Impressive, huh?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 AM

View MatthewEOD's Photo Album My Photos
Why not look into some granite cutoffs, they are incredibly flat, and shouldn't be overly expensive.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 AM

View Rodrat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewEOD View Post
Why not look into some granite cutoffs, they are incredibly flat, and shouldn't be overly expensive.
You can also find granite tiles at your local Lowes or Home Depot for about 5 bucks. If you have no luck there you could also try a tile shop. They make some pretty flat tiles and are usually cheaper than a block of the stuff.

Measure 6 times, cut 3. Plane it down wrong and go buy a second board.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 PM

View Robson Valley's Photo Album My Photos
I had my choice of possibly 500 different granite countertop cutoffs and sink cutouts for free. "Just don't mess up the piles."
I needed 4 for stone carving and 2 more for abrasive sheets for sharpening. The rest of the dozen I took I give away when somebody needs a chunk.

Diamond plate costs. Consider what sort of diamonds and how they are arranged on the plate. What quality of adhesive?
I read that the monocrystalline diamonds cost more and last longer and you pay more.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-16-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

I seriously doubt these are monocrytaline for the price, but I did receive 6 today in the mail from 120 grit up to 3000 grit and for the price it's tough to argue. I'd say they're what many people might call disposable, but they do shapen tool quickly as opposed to some other methods I've tried.
The one on the right is an older stone I purchased for about $7 awhile back and it served good enough. The one on the left is the new one and from everything I can tell it's the same material, only a bit larger with more working surface and about the same price, about $7.
I could have spent $70 and I'm not sure if that extra $63 would be worth it.
The bottom line is they do the job without breaking the bank.
I'm considering gluing them to a piece of flat pvc to see if they'll remain sufficiently flat.

Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode