dado blade size - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

View lonnie's Photo Album My Photos
dado blade size

ok new guy to wood working here. scary when a mechanic picks up a saw. lol! I just bought a laguana 10 inch platnum table saw. I work with plywood always and soft woods like Pine and fur (sorry on a budget) I am building some dressers and cabinets in my house and need to cut some dadoes but i am confused on what size of dado blade would be best? The saw is a 10 inch saw so should i stay with the 10 inch size? I have found a few 10 inch dado blades sets with a 5/8 arbor I would like to stay in the range of $100 or less if I could. What would you recomend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 09:51 PM

View Fbranco's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-8-Dado-Set/dp/B0025AC51A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1250300715&sr=1-8or
http://www.amazon.com/Freud-SD206-6-Inch-Professional-Dado/dp/B0000223O8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1250300715&sr=1-1I have no experience with the first one, but own the second. Works fine.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM

View triplechip's Photo Album My Photos
8" diameter dado sets seem to be the more popular size among my customers. Bill

Bill Zickel
W.D. Quinn Saw Co.
St. Louis, Mo
www.quinnsaw.com
https://www.facebook.com/WD-Quinn-Sa...384770/?ref=hl
post #4 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 10:21 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Your 10" table saw will cut a little over 3" thick. When cutting a dado in 3/4" plywood you usually cut a depth of about 3/8". So, unless you are cutting very deep dado you do not need a 10' dado blade.
Tom
post #5 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 10:30 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
HD

I have a few sets including a $100 one from home depot and a forrest 8 inch that cost 3 times as much. For typical work i use the cheaper freud, and if i need something of super high quality then i use my forrest or a CMT i have. Dont spend tons of money on one.
post #6 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
I am verry happy with my 8" freud.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-15-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

thank you for the info

Thank you for the information, I really do like the sounds of the freud blades, they sound like they are a good clean cutting blade. Again thank you.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-15-2009, 08:51 AM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Lonnie - A 6" or 8" make the most sense. A 6" is a tad easier for smaller saws to spin, but an 8" has greater depth of cut. You're not likely to need the capacity of the 8" often, but if you were to use a crosscut sled, you'll loose some depth so it could come in handy. Most saws don't have much issue spinning the 8".

I've had 4 very good sets, starting with the Freud SD208, the DeWalt/Delta 7670, the Systimatic 42SFine, and the Infinity Dadonator.

The SD208 is a good starter set at ~ $85, but it only has 12 teeth for the outside cutters and 2 teeth for the inside chippers. Their next step up, the SD508 has twice as many teeth and makes a cleaner cut. (if all else is equal, more teeth will leave a cleaner cut) Epinions review

The DeWalt/Delta 7670 set is on sale from Grizzly for $90 plus s/h (~ $104 to your door). This set has 24T cutters and 4T chippers, similar to the more expensive Freud and Forrest sets, and does leave a bit smoother cut than the SD208. It also has a great carrying case and very nice shim stock. Epinions review The Freud 208 is very popular because it's available everywhere, but having owned both, I highly recommend this set in this price range.

The Dadonator is the cat's meow but is ~ $200.

Now that you know what dado set to get, can you clue me in as to how to change the timing belt on our '98 Civic LX?

Last edited by knotscott; 08-15-2009 at 09:15 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you scott for the info, so the more teeth the blade has the better the cut which is understandable, I have seen on some blades they list different hook angles does it really matter for a novice like me? I am looking at my grizzly catalog they have a stack dado set model h7777 I think i might try it see what happens, bad thing with plywood is it likes to chip as you all know. By the way the cars I stay away from, If it isnt big green and has john deere on it run away!! lol!! wish i could get my wife to start driven a tractor to work. Lol!!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-15-2009, 09:13 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Lonnie,
You will want a dado that cuts a CLEAN and FLAT bottom with NO CHIPOUT. Buy the best you can afford. It only hurts once.
Gene
post #11 of 18 Old 08-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene howe View Post
lonnie,
you will want a dado that cuts a clean and flat bottom with no chipout. Buy the best you can afford. It only hurts once.
Gene
AMEN!!!

Actually there is one additional option...

If you are going to make a specific size dado continously (e.g. always 3/4" or close) buy a wobbler dado

AND

Take it to a good sharpening shop and have it sharpened for a flat bottom cut AT the 3/4" size.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Last edited by rrich; 08-16-2009 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Additional Thoughts
post #12 of 18 Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 AM
No Longer Here

Lonnie - More teeth is a biggie, but there are several other parameters involved in addition to more teeth, and it starts getting a lot more confusing from there. Precision, sharpness, and tooth geometry have quite an impact too.

More hook tends to mean a slightly lower feed resistance but with slightly more tearout, but ease of feeding/resistance is also dependent on the tooth grind, mass of the blades, etc. Tearout is also dependent on tooth grind, feedrate, blade height, material, etc.

Precision is much harder to determine, but I'd assume that more expensive sets made in the US, Germany, Italy, Israel, Japan, etc., will tend to have better precision than a cheap set made in China. My $200 Infinity is made in Italy and has fewer teeth than my $300 American made Systimatic, yet the Infinity is a little cleaner cutting with less tearout, so I assume it's performance advantage is due to tooth configuration and precision, though both are excellent. A $150 to $300 set will tend to have a better cut than a $40 set, but you don't necessarily need to spend $200 to get an acceptable cut. You can get what you pay for if you're careful.

The H7777 is a copy of the Systimatic 42SFine design, which was excellent but was a $300 set made with high precision in the USA, the Grizzly set is made in China with a softer less desirable grade of carbide, and likely less precision. It might still perform well for you, but I haven't used it so I can't say from personal experience. You'll see even cheaper sets from Harbor Freight. Oshlun offers a set of the same design that uses a harder grade of carbide for ~ $80 (Holbren.com has it). But if $80+ is going to be spent, I'd rather spend $104 on the 7670 set and know what I'm getting. BTW, the DW set is closer in design to the Forrest Dado King.

Forrest:

DeWalt/Delta 7670:

Systimatic S42Fine dado / (also see pic of Oshlun & Grizzly dado 8"):

SD208:

SD508:

Last edited by knotscott; 08-18-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Expanded info & pics
post #13 of 18 Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a link to a really nice 8" set. I've used it in all types of wood, plywood, MDF, and HMW. Meets my needs for an absolutely flat bottom with no chip out.
My saw is what is known as "under powered" but, even so, this set performs superbly. I looked for a 6" in this line but, they don't seem to make one. At least, I couldn't find one when I needed to buy.
And, as I said earlier, it only hurts once. In fact the pain goes away after the first cut.

http://www.toolking.com/tenryu_gmd-20340.aspx
post #14 of 18 Old 08-16-2009, 06:37 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I would recommend the DW7670 8" I have it and am very pleased with it. $90 for a quality set like this is a deal. Read the review, then buy it! You will like it.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 PM

View Rich Aldrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
I am verry happy with my 8" freud.
Dado.... I mean ditto. I have this one also and it works well. I paid about $90 for it.

Rich (The Yooper)
To the world, you might be one person, but to one person, you might be the world.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM

View Charles M's Photo Album My Photos
Lonnie,

Most every 10" table made is designed for an 8" or smaller dado set and many will accept no larger than 6". So start by consulting the user's manual for the saw to find the maximum recommended size. An 8" dado will cut 1" less depth than you get with a 10" blade and a 6" will cut 2" less. So for a 10" saw that cuts 3" you would get 2" depth with an 8" dado or 1" depth with a 6". Keep in mind also that even if you can use an 8" set, it takes 25% less torque to drive a 6".
post #17 of 18 Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 AM
No Longer Here

Question

Lonnie - Still deciding?
post #18 of 18 Old 08-18-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys not nice to confuse a novice.lol. sorry been a touch busy. Wow what alota good info. I looked in my saws operators manual and you are right it has a maximum capacity of a 8 inch dado blade. I tried out a buddies delta 6 inch wobble blade this weekend. I put together a jig for making finger joints (box joints) i set it up to make a 1/4 finger on a 2 1/2 inch wide peice of pine. It worked good my first cut but then my second and third cuts I got a varryation of about a 1/32 or more in width of cut. After alota toying around with the set up the owner of the blade stopped by and was nice enough to tell me after a couple hours of frustration that he had the same trouble with the blade. Think I am stayin away from a wobble blade. I like the dewalt set up. Has a good price and good case it looks like. Got enough loose parts around dont need any more. lol. I get home tonight think im goin to search for the dewalt. I have bought some stuff through grizzly and its ok. I can see the quality difference and agree a little more money spent is worth it. Thank you all for the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode