Cyclone collection? Collecting soot from diesel car - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

View zwandy's Photo Album My Photos
Talking Cyclone collection? Collecting soot from diesel car

Hi there,

I am a n00b here :)

We all know this is a woodworking forum, my question is pretty related (atleast by the virtue of mechanics soot is like dust, very fine dust)..

---

I am running an assignment at my university where I need to collect fresh diesel from car emissions over a period of 4-5 days for analysis(without much backpressure on the engine). The source is an old diesel car with cylindrical exhaust, that produces a lot of carbon soot.

I've been trying to do a lot of experiments with collection:

- Using a stack of steel-pre-filters e.g. these : Upon emptying I do notice a 1-2 gram of soot. But not more than that. Maybe that's the

I want to be able to collect more than that?

I was reading through https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21117422 and I thought I should share it here.

Do you think that using a Cyclonic Separator as an attachment with car's exhaust as an input can work? I ran an experiment today with a basic cylone separator with 4 inches diameter:

While the cylone separation worked pretty well for dust/sand, the soot FAILED to get into the collection chamber. I am wondering if its because the soot particles are super-light?

1. Any ideas on how to modify the design in a way that the soot(2-10 microns) gets into the collection chamber.

2. What other experiments can I try, to make this happen?

Any help on this would be more than welcome and be returned by a lot of good karma!

Cheers,
Sha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-15-2017, 12:20 PM

View MonsieurBon's Photo Album My Photos
What are you going to measure with what you collect? Simply weight? Or also composition of collected soot?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would probably just put a clean pillow case over the tailpipe with a ziptie. I don't think it would get hot enough to set fire to the pillow case. There should be enough cloth surface to let the pressure out.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Soot particles are just molecules of impure carbon.
1) There's insufficient weight/mass for the centrifugal effect of a cyclone collector to work.
2) Most of the carbon smoke you see will dissipate into the atmosphere, it's that light.
3) If you need to collect ALL of the emitted carbon, you'll need a filter that runs in the 10 micron or smaller range. The black smoke you see, is clumps of carbon at least 10 microns or larger (up to 100 microns). What you don't see are the higher quantities of 10 micron or less particles that are also coming out.
4) If you can develop a way to trap all that, market it, because it hasn't been done, yet. Most "filter" systems for exhausted carbon are actually furnaces, that complete the combustion process in the exhaust flow.
Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode