Woodworking Talk banner

Corner desk? L shape desk?

8K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  carpenter1 
#1 ·
I am looking to design/build my own desk, I would like to gather some ideas first before i start my project. It is for a computer so a lot of cables and devices will be connected what would be some good desk ideas/ designs? Thanks.

#2 ·
Corner Desk/L-shaped

There are a lot of varibles here. Like what type of computer and monitor you have and how much TOP side space you need. My desk is 20"d x 44"w x 30" h. Leg space is 28"w x 28"h includinging keyboard shelf. Also, where do you plan to put your shelves drawers?

A corner desk sometimes have to be built separate then assembled. They are hard to get through the door fully asembled :eek:.
Just remember that what you build in the shop has to fit through the door.

#5 ·
okay, yea ill visit my local store and see what they have up there, as far as what product to use (wood) normal plywood? or should I spend more and buy something better? I want the desk to be sturdy, as far as how big the monitor so that I am able to upgrade now I have a 19"lcd would like a 25"-30" fit. I am looking for something practical for a computer desk/office type of a set up space for a printer, lets say that you need to install new Hard drive or ram in computer I want that to be easily taken out without moving the desk, like I have to now. CARPENTER1 Do you have pictures of yours? Also I did see some desks on the forum when I searched around but didn't find something that caught my attention.

#6 ·
Corner Desk/L-shaped

Be creative. Make a sketch of what you want. start out with a simple desk design (table top with legs), then add the compartments you want and where you want them. Then comes the engineering of the desk. This means making a detailed drawing. You want this desk to FIT you. Go to some stores and get some ideas then tailor them to your needs. I hope that helped.

P.S. LOL I bought my desk from Wal-Mart before I stated practicing carpentry :laughing:.

#9 ·
Computer desk

The type of wood you use depends upon your design. I'm designing an office desk at the time. I'm going to make a frame using ripped pieces of 2" x 4" and then panel it using 3/8" plywood. The frame will make it sturdy and will support the top load.

Also you could use 3/4" plywood but jointing is going to be hairy :eek:.

Question. What is you design and building experience?

#10 ·
design is still in progress, experience is novice ha, but my uncle who will be helping me with this project is good, he designed his kitchen,desk, and more projects around his house build his shed so I know he can do the job. I will post my design when I get it done any specific software that you might suggest to use ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.