Cedar Planks Value - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

View RLHERRON's Photo Album My Photos
Cedar Planks Value

The add below is on Craigs list. Price is $125.00 OBO

I have 4 beautiful cedar boards that are about 1" thick, full 12" wide, and 17' 4" long. (rough cut) These boards are at least 50 years old. I have never seen any like this before. They are straight and no warpage and never in the weather. One of the boards has about a 5' split . I was going to make something out of them, but couldn't bare to cut them. I've had them 20 years. If you have a love for beautiful wood I will take $125.00 ,obo.

I want to build my son a table for his porch. Would this be a good buy?

Any comments, help would be appreciated.

RLH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
I usually say, if it is worth it to you then go for it. Sight unseen when buying/pricing lumber is a big factor though, it could be great...or junk. If it is decent (and I did my math right ) you are looking at $1.75 bft approx. That is not totally out of line in my opinion. Not that you couldn't get it cheaper maybe...but some pay much more too.

See how far a $100 bill gets you, he did say OBO.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

View RLHERRON's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Daren. I believe I'll go for it.

As always, appreciate the help I get here

RLH
post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 AM
weekend warrior

View Sabres78's Photo Album My Photos
It has been my experience, both as a seller and buyer on craigslist, that the asking price is usually marked up a little from what the seller is expecting to get for the item, just to see if someone will pay it. Like Daren said, don't be afraid to haggle a bit, reasonably of course. Can't wait to see this porch table
post #5 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 AM

View Webster's Photo Album My Photos
Around here, rough cut cedar wil run you about $2.00 bf and up. (way up depending on who has it)

It sounds like nice lumber. I'd probably grab it,....... especially if I had a use for it

Rick
post #6 of 8 Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Rookie ***** Poster

View KevinG's Photo Album My Photos
$2 a foot not a bad deal, especially for being dry. I would look at the 5' with the split and maybe factor that out of the cost, depending on how bad it is. Hard to give a number sight unseen, but I would definitely look into it if around here.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2009, 06:30 PM

View Jim Tank's Photo Album My Photos
Any unseen lumber that is unusual and less than one month's rent is worth it in entertainment value at a minimum. Imagine the adoring look on your wife's face when you tell her how much time it will keep you out of the house! Be sure to log any domestic events for at least two weeks after your treasure shows up. Most relationships that have one partner as a woodworker requires the other to have a forgiving, sacrificial heart. But they really dig it when you bring in that newly created project for the first time and present it to the other half.... besides how else is she going to get a 17'4" tall butterfly house?? What a great find... have a ball!! Oh, by the way... would you be interested in some spalted cherry boards about 15 years old 16" wide x 14' long??? I haven't been able to find the time to make that hutch yet.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-17-2009, 07:14 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tank View Post
Any unseen lumber that is unusual and less than one month's rent is worth it in entertainment value at a minimum. Imagine the adoring look on your wife's face when you tell her how much time it will keep you out of the house! Be sure to log any domestic events for at least two weeks after your treasure shows up. Most relationships that have one partner as a woodworker requires the other to have a forgiving, sacrificial heart. But they really dig it when you bring in that newly created project for the first time and present it to the other half.... besides how else is she going to get a 17'4" tall butterfly house?? What a great find... have a ball!! Oh, by the way... would you be interested in some spalted cherry boards about 15 years old 16" wide x 14' long??? I haven't been able to find the time to make that hutch yet.
how much?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode