Cabinet renovation ?? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinet renovation ??

We put these maple finish cabinets in 17 years ago. We sort of settle for these because of what we could afford. Don't like the blonde look. The problem is the doors are the only thing that is wood. The sides are like paper vaneer. Can we stain the sides, or paint with out it peeling off? Realy appreciate any advice. We have more cabinets not in picture. Thanks Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2017, 11:17 AM

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Many years ago, my Father-In-Law bought a house with plywood kitchen cabinets. The doors were plywood and the cabinet carcasses were plywood (not veneered, just plain common plywood. He removed the doors and hardware. He then veneered the cabinets with a good quality hardwood veneer. He replaced the plain, ugly plywood doors and drawer fronts with solid wood to match the veneer he applied to the cabinets. He shopped around and found unfinished doors at a salvage type facility. He made drawer fronts to match the molding on the doors. Lots of work, but minimal $$$, and the finished project looked like new cabinetry. Your doors look to be in good condition, so maybe a trip to a commercial stripper shop and they could be stained and varnished to match a new look.

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Frye For This Useful Post:
fredrimmel (01-09-2017)
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks jim, the doors are solid maple, but the rest is what looks like a paper vaneer. I wish the sides would've been a plywood. My wife thinking of stripping the doors, but we are wondering what we can do with the rest of the paper vaneer. I thought of making new cabinets and using the existing doors after re-staining, but there are alot of cabinets.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2017, 07:00 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If the sides are a vinyl print you can't stain over it. You could put a vinyl sealer over the top of the sides and then use a varnish stain such as polyshades. Polyshades is like you mixed paint with varnish so it applies color but is somewhat transparent. If you are going to paint it you might apply a dewaxed shellac over everything and then proceed with primer. I would recommend an oil based primer and paint.
Roybrew likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Roybrew (01-28-2017)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-09-2017, 10:03 PM

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
The kitchen cabinets in our previous home were by Merillat and the carcasses were particle board with the vinyl wood grain adhered to them. I glued some 1/4" hardwood (oak) ply to some of the surfaces that faced the family room to cover them during a remodel project. I used contact cement and they held fast for a decade or more. I think trying to veneer over your existing cabinets might be worth a try. I just scuffed the vinyl to get the cement to adhere. Are the face frames of your cabinets solid maple like the doors?

Jim Frye
The Nut in the Cellar
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Frye For This Useful Post:
Roybrew (01-28-2017)
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2017, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
The kitchen cabinets in our previous home were by Merillat and the carcasses were particle board with the vinyl wood grain adhered to them. I glued some 1/4" hardwood (oak) ply to some of the surfaces that faced the family room to cover them during a remodel project. I used contact cement and they held fast for a decade or more. I think trying to veneer over your existing cabinets might be worth a try. I just scuffed the vinyl to get the cement to adhere. Are the face frames of your cabinets solid maple like the doors?
There are no face frames. The doors shut on the edge of the sides, bottom and top panels. Thanks jim and steve, I wanted to put this out to you all before I start into something that I know nothing about. I wouldn't have guessed vinyl. We just couldn't afford the hickory back then.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode