bugs in my wood - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

View backtrax's Photo Album My Photos
bugs in my wood

I want to make clocks out of some old found burl wood but it has bugs in it. Does anyone have an idea how to kill these little critters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
Kiln.

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 02:10 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
If it is small enough boards you can do the microwave kiln trick. I don't think your attic is hot enough in Michigan, but I have had luck with dry wood by wrapping in plastic or a bag to keep the bugs in and putting it in the attic for a while in the summer.

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #4 of 10 Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Burl with bugs???

My home and shop are built from wood. I wouldn't bring the wood any where near my home. It's not a big leap from burl to house framing.

You could do something with heat but there is much more to kiln drying wood than heat.

The only thing that I can think of is to put the burl in a large trash bag followed by a very large bowl. Pour box of baking soda (Arm & Hammer, etc.) into the bowl followed by SLOWLY a pint or so of vinegar. The whole thing will fizzle and generate carbon dioxide. Use the plastic bag to allow the CO2 build up and fill the bag. (CO2 is heavier than air so it will settle to the bottom of the bag and gradually fill the bag. Tie the bag shut and let the whole thing sit for a week. Then do it again. After two weeks all of the critters should be dead.

However, I still wouldn't bring that burl into my home, but that's just me.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 AM

View JoshuaHoffman's Photo Album My Photos
bugs in wood

If you can find someone with a kiln it has been my experience that above 120 degrees you kill most everything. Short of that expense pour lacquer thinner on the wood and leave it outside in an area away from a building and out of the sun. I'm sure there are more tricks, probably ask Daren, he knows city wood which is always full of nice little buggers making unusual patterns across his maple logs. I as well like the bugs in burl wood, in that they make for interesting patterns. Always dry them in advance of working with the inventory or passing it on to another woodworker. Happy hunting.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
There are many ways to kill critters, all of which have their pros and cons. Since you said "old" I am assuming the wood is dry so the hard part of dealing with burl should over (it's done checking,cracking, moving if was going to) A kiln would be my first choice heat will do the trick, 130 core temp for 6 hours. Like was stated if they are small enough you could nuke them, carefully. They make products like "Timbor" and "Boracare", but I am not a fan of chemicals really if I have to work with the wood and eat the dust too. You could make your own mini solar kiln, sorta like these solar ovens http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/. I would only do this if the wood was dry, I think wet wood would be stressed by a run in the oven. I have drowned bugs before, but this was on wet wood. If your wood is in fact dry then wetting and redrying is a pain. I will still throw it out there just in case anyone else runs across this thread in the future with the same problem in wet wood. I had some burls with bugs. I just filled up a 55 gallon plastic barrel with water and covered and sunk the burls for a couple weeks, no more bugs. Submersion does not hurt fresh wood.

Whatever you do I would do it pretty quick...they may just decide to relocate from your burls into the rest of your wood stash/shop framing.
I have thrown a match to wood before that was too infested, I would rather burn a little than have my whole shed full of inventory ate up.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-10-2009, 07:23 AM

Bug in my Shed

Daren has it right and is more articulate then I. Powder Post beetles came into my inventory from some exotica imported and caused havoc for two years. Holes in the sapwood, sawdust on the ground or under some furniture are not a sign that you want to see. Deal with it quickly. Happy hunting. joshau
post #8 of 10 Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Tha Pro

View Tha Carpenter's Photo Album My Photos
Bug killer, spray it everywhere, it had to get into the area of the wood right, spray the area. bug in your wood, thats a PITA! keep wood away from water . period.

good luck!

If I can't satisfy you, then you'll have to satisfy yourself, just give me the money and we'll both be satisfied.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-11-2009, 04:29 AM

Bugs do good things too. See attached images of Ambrosia Beetle lumber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ambrosia maple star burst.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	9799  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ambrosia maple WP.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	9800  

post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2009, 03:58 PM

View Scotsman's Photo Album My Photos
Kerosene liberally painted on kills most woodworm and bugs .I just did it .take it outside and don't get the mess everywhere good luck.Alistair

Last edited by Scotsman; 07-13-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: miss spelled a word

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode