Bending 1x8 fascia board on a rounded portch - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-21-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

View Archie's Photo Album My Photos
Bending 1x8 fascia board on a rounded portch

Hi, I need to replace the face board on a 16 foot radius portch. The current rotted board looks to be straight grained pine with kerf cuts about 2/3 of the way through. My question can I use the finger jointed primed pine from the home store to do this or will it break at the finger joints. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this economically. I thought about using ply wood but don't like having so many joints, Thanks for any help . Archie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-21-2007, 03:57 PM

View formula462's Photo Album My Photos
hi,i would not use finger joint but you would have an easier time using 11/16" x 6" red cedar.it would easily bend on a 16'r and it will hold up to the elements much better. 1x8 should bend as well and you can wet it if needed. make sure the cedar is clear no knots

Last edited by formula462; 07-21-2007 at 04:02 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
Tho you will have a few joints bending plywood is going to be oh so easy and fast.Am not being a smart *ass here but if you dont know it they do make a special plywood for bending. I would just caulk the seams as you make em, be shure to protect the edges like any plywood
JackM
post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 PM

he asked how to do economically. clear cedar is is more cost effecient as compared to bending plywood,and it will bend easily on that radius with no seams or exposed edges.i have done it a 1000 times. after the two rips are made from the sheet,you have material left that i suppose you could store and use to replace the other in a few years.also the box stores don't carry bending ply but i have seen clear cedar
post #5 of 12 Old 07-23-2007, 09:14 AM

View atogrf1's Photo Album My Photos
There are new products out there called Kleer and Azek. They are white PVC and made for outside. All you do is heat them up, they soften, and then you can bend it, pretty much, in a circle if you needed to.
We sell it at the lumberyard that I work at, and that stuff is great. AND, it comes white. You can leave it up without painting it, or you can paint it. Your choice.
We stock the Kleer stuff and I have guys that come in all the time and get this for that particular purpose.
It is a tad pricey, but the money you save in labor and painting is worth it in the end.
Hope that helps.
Have a good one!!!!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM

that is good to know,how is it fastened? i will keep this in mind next time i need it thanks....is there a website for it
post #7 of 12 Old 07-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
Formula: Stainless Nails best way. It is nice stuff to work with. The company ( azek) anyway makes a glue for the product also,
if you decide to use 2 pcs. It has woodgrain FACE smooth back just be shure u dont put it on backwards
JackM
post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 AM

If you want, I have a sample here of the KLEER stuff. I can mail you one if you want to give me your address. This way, you can put your hands on it and see what it looks and feel like.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 AM

View SBEAUD2238's Photo Album My Photos
Have you considered the use of a composite board like AZEK it is a pvc trimboard that is easily bendable especially on a 16 foot radius. You can paint this stuff as long as you use the right primer.

Good luck
Scott
post #10 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBEAUD2238 View Post
Have you considered the use of a composite board like AZEK it is a pvc trimboard that is easily bendable especially on a 16 foot radius. You can paint this stuff as long as you use the right primer.

Good luck
Scott

what is the thickness of AZEK
post #11 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

View Archie's Photo Album My Photos
Info on vinyl trim boards

Hi , Thanks for the info on the PVC sounds like it might be the way to go. Do any of the major home centers stock it ? I'll try to Google them to see if I can find a local supplier. How do you heat the board ? Any idea of the cost for 1x8 stock ? Thanks again , Archie
post #12 of 12 Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Yes, you do need to heat the board. And, if you heat it up enough, it can bend like a wet noodle. It really is something to see when you see it done for the first time.

I don't know if any of the home centers carry it or not, but I am sure that they have some version of it. If you happen to have a privately owned lumberyard near you, those places are almost sure to stock it.

Good luck in your search!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode