Beginner question about woodturning glue up - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

View jp887's Photo Album My Photos
Beginner question about woodturning glue up

Hi. I'm really new to woodturning and I have only ever turned small items like small bowls etc. Now I want to make plant stand that needs to be about 1.1m high.
I'm finding it hard to source a spindle blank that long. My question is, can I glue 2 shorter spindle blanks together length ways to make an extra long spindle blank before turning?
I could drill a recess into the end of one blank and turn the end of the other blank down to a smaller diameter to make a round mortise and tenon joint before gluing.
Would this be strong enough to turn safely or would I be better to turn the 2 spindles individually and then glue them after turning?

Sorry for the newbie question! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:37 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I wouldn't do it, end grain doesn't glue up very strong and as you turn it down it will lose more strength
post #3 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:46 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
End grain joints don't glue well, my bet is if you tried gluing 2 shorter blanks together like you described, they'd turn into shrapnel as soon as you got near the joint with a chisel. You might be able to finger joint 2 pieces together, but personally I'd just find a long enough blank

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

post #4 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You won't be able to glue the wood together end to end for what you are doing. If say you were making a turning blank that was 4 1/2" square you could use six layers of 3/4" wood staggering the joints. It might have the appearance of a butcher block but it should be safe enough to turn.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

OK thanks for the advice. I'll join them after turning then. Any advice on how to best join them after turning to achieve a reasonably strong joint?
Drill both pieces and inset a dowel in the joint before gluing?
Thanks.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:49 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What would work the best is to turn one end of the turning into a dowel. Then drill the other turning to accept the dowel.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-15-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

That's great Steve. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 AM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
end to end not so good. However. the old post and beam guys had ways to attach two shorter beams into a longer one using a variety of joints, depending on whether the beam was vertical or horizontal, weight bearing or not. They involved some tricky angled tennons and mortises, but certainly doable for a plant stand. I had a book on post and beam construction methods and where and when to use certain joints. Sadly the book was lost in the same fire as my workshop a couple years ago. I remember thinking it would be strange to link to vertical pieces in a weight bearing mode, but it was done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode