Woodworking Talk banner

Bamboo trim removal

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  clousekevin 
#1 ·
I found this mohogany chair with bamboo screen the screen is secured the same way the window screen is. How can you remove without damaging the frame of the chair?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
It's known as woven cane. It's held in place with a spline, which is the piece that runs around the perimeter. This pictorial is pretty good. http://www.basketmakerscatalog.com/mfiles/canewebbing.php It's helpful to use a clothes iron and a damp rag instead of just using hot water. The steam can damage the finish on the frame if you aren't refinishing. You need to work about 6-8" at a time depending on how well it is glued. Try to completely clean the spline groove once the cane is removed. When preparing the sheet cane, soak it in water overnight along with some glycerin. You need to gently but completely seat the cane in the groove. Genuine cane can be brittle making that tight turn. Cut a blunt edged wedge you can use to tap the cane into the groove. Use ordinary wood glue, not waterproof or water resistant like Titebond II or III. Have some cauls you can clamp down over the spline to hold it firmly in place. If you have ever replace rubber spline window screen, it's very similar except for the glue and clamps. Start at 12 o'clock, then 6, then 9 then 3, etc. to keep it in line and pulled taught. Synthetic cane is also available.

#4 ·
Have you decided what you are going to replace the cane with? I have a dinning room table & chair set that I have been wanting to refinish, but I figured that the chairs would not be restrain able due to the cane-mesh stuff on the backs of the chairs. I did not know that it can be removed. I am going to attempt removing the cane on my chairs, I am just not sure what I am going to use to replace it with. I might just leave it out.

#5 ·
Depending on my niece for the look she wants and the fabric of the apolstered area, just a thought and if it can work out right, I want to try the mesh material used for outdoor furniture. dining chairs are more cemetrical which may work out if you want to try it.

#7 ·
Not talking about the mesh straps. The material fills the whole opening like the high end outdoor furniture. Was talking about that too with my niece, making a two sided fill piece for the openings, fabric on both sides. Just the padding on the seat areas. Sort of like the old victorian style

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.