Baby crib plans - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

View TrackRock's Photo Album My Photos
Baby crib plans

I am looking for plans for a baby crib. My first grandchild is due in Feb. My son has asked me if I would build the baby bed. I have seen some really great looking cribs on this forum. If anyone has one they want to share or the best place to look on the internet I would be appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 03:16 AM

View hcplanner's Photo Album My Photos
I built the Rockler "Heirloom Crib" last year for my son. Its posted in the finished projects forum under Birdeye Maple Crib some time ago. The Rockler plan and accompanying hardware kit plan were simple and easy to follow for a novice woodworker such as myself.

Just my 2 cents.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

View TrackRock's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the web sites and the info.
I was looking at the Rockler plans with all the hardware. I have looked for the picture but can’t find it. Still trying to feel my way though this.
What did you use as a finish that is safe for the baby?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
edp

View edp's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRock View Post
What did you use as a finish that is safe for the baby?
Any finish will be safe once it is dry/cured.
You can see my example of the Rockler convertable crib at www.crookedlittletree.com
I was not particularly happy with the stain that was chosen but the customer is always kinda right to a point.

I made a few changes to the original plans including square tennons on the slats rather than round ones.

Ed

Oh, by the way, my congratulations on the arrival of your Grandson.

Come on in, the beer's cold and the wood's dry.
We keep the Red Oak piled 6 feet high.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM

View MelissaBenton88's Photo Album My Photos
Get the confortable and safety baby cribs is all people hope. But today, there are many cribs available at market. Some of them are dangerious for our baby, because some of them made of cheap material that can injure our baby. To avoid this, I have research some website to find the safety crib. lately, I find website that give me information to buy safety cribs. I read and enjoy visit the site. TOday I would like to share with us about it. If you are looking baby cribs, I highly recommended read tips at this site before buying. You can read the safety tips at >>>>> http://www.bestar-furniture.com/baby-cribs
post #7 of 9 Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 AM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaBenton88
Get the confortable and safety baby cribs is all people hope. But today, there are many cribs available at market. Some of them are dangerious for our baby, because some of them made of cheap material that can injure our baby. To avoid this, I have research some website to find the safety crib. lately, I find website that give me information to buy safety cribs. I read and enjoy visit the site. TOday I would like to share with us about it. If you are looking baby cribs, I highly recommended read tips at this site before buying. You can read the safety tips at >>>>> http://www.bestar-furniture.com/baby-cribs
:spam:

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #8 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM

View Rookie23's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by edp View Post
Any finish will be safe once it is dry/cured.
You can see my example of the Rockler convertable crib at www.crookedlittletree.com
I was not particularly happy with the stain that was chosen but the customer is always kinda right to a point.

I made a few changes to the original plans including square tennons on the slats rather than round ones.

Ed

Oh, by the way, my congratulations on the arrival of your Grandson.
I know this post is a couple years old, but for anyone reading it currently or in the future (as I am), any finish being "safe" is a matter of degree. What many people believe is safe is a finish is not "as safe" as many parents would like. Typical stains and paints emit toxic chemicals, which - while they probably won't cause your baby immediate harm, may lead to long-term health consequences. Oil & Wax finishes are really the only ones out there that do not emit VOCs for your baby to breathe/absorb.

AFM Wood Finish - Extremely Low VOC - disadvantages to this finish and to oil/wax are that both have a slight tacky feel (as opposed to frictionless glassy). The AFM has colors available, but they're not real vibrant. Oil & Wax is un-colored (just enhances the natural wood color.)

Just figured I'd throw this info out there for those that are looking for that higher degree of safety. Keep in mind, if you're using formeldahyde-based woods for the crib, the stain you choose isn't going to help much. Be sure you're using real wood if you care about these things. The treated wood in the U.S. is not allowed in most places for cribs - even in China where many of them are made for export to the U.S.

Last edited by Rookie23; 12-19-2011 at 01:58 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 AM

View HowardAcheson's Photo Album My Photos
There are specific regulations promulgated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission applying to cribs. Go to their web site to review them.

In addition, there are new regulations regarding anything manufactured for use by a child 12 old or younger. Anyone who builds something is defined as a "manufacturer". The regulations apply to things you make for your own family.

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/CPSIA/smbu...facturers.html

Howie.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode